Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't boot up in new case... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

proteusx

Programmer
Mar 21, 2005
US
I bought a new case for my computer and moved everything over, and now when I hook it up and hit the power switch, nothing happens except the blue LED fan on my power supply flashes for a moment (but doesnt spin up) and an LED on my motherboard lights up (marked cryptically in the mobo manual as LED1, and not mentioned at all).

I'm using the same cpu, power supply, motherboard, and peripherals. I wasn't sure which way to connect the 2 pin power switch, but I've since tried it both ways, and I get the same result either way.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

First, unhook the 2 pin power switch and use a flat head screwdriver up against the 2 pins. That does the same as the switch, so if the computer starts up then you know the switch is bad.

If no joy, then unhook all that you can, any pci cards you dont need, anything not absolutely needed and try booting up.

If no luck, then check all jumpers, re-set the bios(see manual as they are different), re-seat all cables and try again.

If no luck you should take everything out of the case and get it going out of the case first and then put it all in the case. The reason is that there may be a ground issue between mobo and case.

Sometimes you also have to reset the power supply by unplugging it from the wall and press the power\on for ten seconds and plug it back into the wall and then try to boot up.

If still no go then you possibly need to re-seat the heatsink\cpu.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Try disconnecting power from everything except the M/B and see if it will POST.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

ok, i tried screwdriver instead of pwr button thing. no luck. tried disconnecting EVERYTHING except the psu and mobo. no luck. I swapped out for another psu. no luck.

i think it must be a grounding issue with the mobo. thing is, im not really sure how to fix something like that...the case had 6 raised mount-points built into it toward the inside of the mobo tray, and i added a few brass standoffs around the outside for support...what in that could be causing problems? and how to rectify it?

thanks for the help, guys, i REALLY appreciate it

Remove motherboard and place on the box it came in. Remove power supply and hook to computer. Put in the memory (one stick), CPU and cooler, and video card (if not built-in video). Hook up monitor. Turn on the system with the screwdriver. See if it posts now. Led 1, shows that the 5 v. is live (keyboard, USB, and other things). Make sure the CPU cooler fan is plugged to the motherboard in the right place. You could also remove the speaker from the old case and hook it up to the motherboard to check for "beeps". If the computer doesn't work, post back with what (if any) beeps you hear.

I bet if you take it out of the case it will start up.

garebo:
We've got to stop reading at the same time! <grin>

Mick

You can solve most grouding problems with a Dremmel tool.

If it is a grounding case problem, you can remove any un-needed stand-offs. If that's not possible, cut a file folder (or other insulating material) to fit around the stand-offs you need, and insulate the rest of the motherboard. I've found solder on the motherboard hanging down just enough to touch the case.

ya micker377, sorry, i was typing, had to grab the phone, then finished and posted!
I have seen the same thing with solder from mobo hitting the case.

A hint for all, build the computer out of the case and get it going first, its easier for one thing and you know it works, so when you put it in the case and it doesnt work you can look for grounding issues and case to mobo hookups only instead of a hundred other issues! Dont have another power supply, take the power supply out of the case, its only 4 screws!

garebo:
Nothing to be sorry about, we need all the help we can get!

"i was typing, had to grab the phone, then finished"

Isn't this what they "multitasking? <grin>

well, everyone was right (thank god for you guys), mobo runs fine outside of said case...but HOW can i fix this problem when i dont even know what's causing it? heres a pic of the mobo tray:

case.gif

as you can see, there are 6 mount points that are kind of....built in. normally i'd use nothing but brass standoffs, but i cant do anything about those built-in things. how would i fix this grounding problem?

I'd just put something between the bottom of the mobo and those posts. Something insulating, that is. Whack off a piece from an anti-static bag, that would work great.

I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from offering a strong opinion.

Normally those 6 are not the problems, it is the locations of the brass posts that ground things out.
Look on the bottom of the board. Those mounting points intended for ground usually have a ground plane around the hole. Same usually on the top for the screw head.
The embossed mounts can be larger than the ground planes and get traces in the area.

And rather than the plastic of the anti-static bag I would use a piece from something like a page protector used in a notdbook.

How do the PCI boards line up with the slots in the "back plane"? They make short and tall brass stand-offs. You may need short ones for the stock mounts, and longer ones for the extra ones you put in.

Don't forget the dremmel tool if you need to grind anything off.

PS: Wear goggles or at least sunglasses... it really hurts to get a glowing hot spec of metal in your eye.

Another thing, you dont always have to fill in each and every hole in the motherboard with a screw or a standoff, and you can use plastic ones in some cases.
Where there is a complete "metal" or "solder" ring around the hole, it wants a screw. Where you dont see a ring around the hole, you dont have to put anything. that is, as long as your cpu \heatsink\fan are secure and mobo is secure, you dont have to fill in each and every hole, i often dont.

Turn the mobo over and if you see just one soldered piece that sticks out further than the rest, maybe, not always, but maybe you could even cut the very very end off of it with wire nippers. Needless to say you want to be very very careful doing this. If you put the mobo down upside down and put, say, a level piece of cardboard over it, you should be able to look thru it and see which soldered part is hitting on the cardboard? Its just a thought, trying to help out here. I have put hundreds of mobos together and the worse i ever had to do was take a screw out to get the computer to boot, but you never know, could be that piece of solder as someone mentioned. Just be careful and dont do anything drastic and you will get it going.

ok, here's what im gonna try then. i have a sheet of this foam that hardware always comes packed in, and i was gonna cut a mobo-sized piece out, then use a punch to put the 9 screw holes in it.

You might try some of them plastic standoff doodads.

proteusx
I'm not going to say that your idea wouldn't work but from a professional builders stand point it's a bit of a bodge!

I'm going to point out edfairs post here and say, the 6 raised mounting points are "COMMON" to all standard FULL SIZED ATX form factor motherboards so should not need insulating at all.

If you decide you still want to insulate the mounting points then simply use super glue to stick common red fibre washer on top of each mount, but "don't use insulating washers on the top side as well" the screws do need to touch the solder rings for proper gounding and prevent interference issues.

It looks like your case is an early ATX type which were not as deep front to back.

A common problem associated with this type of case is that the CDroms and sometime hard drives, often catch components on a full width ATX motherboard, just be aware that any metal component touching the motherboard circuitry will short it out.

Also watch for proper location of the I/O backplate, sometimes when you mount the motherboard it's easy to get the grounding legs the wrong side shorting inside an ethernet or USB port etc

Perhaps you could post back with your motherboard type which may give an insight into possible mounting issues.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back