Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't boot to CD or floppy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

huffbr

Technical User
Jul 1, 2002
US
Okay, I have a major problem that I'm afraid isn't fixable. I bought a new hard drive. The new western digital special edition. Anyhow, it wouldn't work at first so I went to the website and got the update disk that updates the bios so that the hard drive works. The hard drive worked great after that. One problem, it wouldn't boot on the cd drive. Well, to make a long story short it would boot fine on the floppy but just not on the cd. And then all of a sudden it stopped booting on the floppy. All the settings in the bios are right. I just hope that the bios update hasn't corrupted my bios. Any help would be great. There seems like there is nothing I can do.

Can you manually change the boot sequence in the BIOS? ====================================
I love people. They taste just like
chicken!

Yeah, all the boot sequences are right.

BIOS itself has checksum and will give checksum error if corrupted.
Just check if FDD can read/write properly. I think you drive or the FDD itself is bad. Or you may have installed ONTRACK or similar overlay.

Boot sequence in Setup plays very important role. check them with manual of M/B

If problem is something else, write the messages received.

I unplugged the new hard drive so I know that's not the problem, and I know that my boot sequence is right cause I checked it like a million times.

I'm sorry, I didn't see that last part to your reply, but I don't get a message. It won't boot to the floppy or cd then it just goes straight to the OS. But if I turn the hard drive off it just says that there is no fixed disk, but I know the disk is good cause it works on another computer.

Have you tried going to the motherboard manufacturers web site and see if they have a flash of the original BIOS. If so download it and then before Windows(assuming thats what your using) boots hit F8, boot to command prompt, flash your BIOS and start over again. Try that if your comfortable with doing so, I had a hardware problem and found that flashing my BIOS fixed it. Just a suggestion.

Sometimes its a good idea, just to start from the beginning.

Obvious steps:
Of course, make sure your 1.44 boot disk is the same as the OS you have on C:.
When booting from it, select the option to include the CD.
If the only thing you changed was the BIOS to allow the supposed higher limit on the new HD, then it has to that which is causing the prob; you saved the old BIOS file when you updated, so put it back in.

Thanks jabz, I'll try that tonight. One problem though, I have win xp and going to command prompt isn't an option. I'll figure something out. Probably just put my hard drive in another computer and load win 98 or something. Anyway, thanks.

ssome, yeah, that would be a great idea, but one problem, and this is the main focus of my complaint, I CAN'T BOOT FROM THE FLOPPY. I didn't mean to be rude, but thanks for trying to help.

Thanks jabz, it works now. You the man.(or woman, whichever). Thanks for everyone's help. Sorry I was rude to you ssome. I was just kidding around. But anyway, thanks.

No problem huffbar....gald to help....was it worth a star ;-)

Take Care(lol, oh its man)

No problem huffbar....glad to help....was it worth a star ;-)

Take Care(lol, oh its man)

I just came back from my 6 month trip and I forgot my password to start my PC, I have win2000 Pro. Installed, and it didn't let me to log on to me computer, any help ? thanks for all

Maybe you can better start a new thread, you'll have much more response

mim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back