Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't boot from floppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmberO

MIS
Oct 17, 2001
GB
I have a PC running ME that I need to reload. The problem is it doesn't look for a floppy disk on startup and I can't figure out how to boot to dos. can anyone help?
Thank you,
Amber

The floppy drive was probably disabled in the BIOS. To change the setting, you need to watch your POST screen when you first turn on the PC. Usually, it'll tell you which key to hit to enter setup: F1, F2, ESC, or Delete.

Once your in, look for and change the boot order. Select the floppy as the first boot device. You'll want to use a Win98 boot disk in order to get a DOS command prompt.

Thank you both for your replies.
When I start the PC the boot screen (if there is one) goes so fast that I can't catch it with the pause button! I have tried every F key and esc etc as the machine reboots. Does anyone else have any other ideas how I can gain access to the BIOS? -This is just so frustrating!

Thanks again,
Amber

If its a Dell, you might try CTRL+ALT+ENTER, as that will sometimes let you in.

Scotsdude
Avoid the damn funky chickens....

Thanks Scotsdude.....unfortunately that didn't work either.

Anyone else know?

Have you tried CRTL&F1. What Brand is the PC?
It sounds like the boot order is wrong on the BIOS. If you get to the BIOS it is the next to the last tab change to order to ...Floppy,Harddrive,CDROM. Your owners manual will also tell you how to get to SETUP
for the system. Shut the system all the way down then restart watch the bottom left hand corner there should a note of what button to click or enter to get into setup.

If you can supply the make and model of your PC, finding the right key won't be a problem...

Its a dell dimension 2100

ctrl and F1 didn't work either. I keep trying looking for a black screen but it goes straight from the dell start up screen to the win ME splash screen.

Thank you ever so much for helping

Amber

Amber,

Dell says this! When the blue Dell logo screen appears, press the <F2> key to enter the BIOS (System Setup) program.
I hope it works for you!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I thought when the splash screen appeared that I had missed my chance already. I have now successfully got at the BIOS.

And once again, Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back