Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't boot from 10.3 CD 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sttcharl

Programmer
Dec 5, 2002
US
So I got OS 10.3, but it won't seem to boot from cd on my power pc g3. It will boot on other power pc g3s just not mine. all the other versions of OS X have booted fine except this one. Anyone know what the problem with my system would be?

Thanks,

-Steve

1) you do know that it would be theft to use one CD to load the OS on more than one computer? Apple sells a family pak for $199 for 5 Macs

2) the Wallstreet G3 Powerbook and Beige G3 PowerMac are not supported under 10.3

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

We have a licensing agreement at the university I work at and it's my mac at the university. I have tried other macs at the university and they work fine. It is mine that doesn't. So no theft is occuring here. It's not a Beige Power Mac G3, it's a blue/white one. It meets the specs on apple's website, but won't boot from the cd.

Are you sure it is a CD ROM and not a DVD ROM?

Many of the new OS X Boot disks (and system restore) from Apple are actually DVD's.

When your computer is booting, hold the "option" key down, and all available boot systems will display on screen (it takes a few minutes). Select the appropriate book system from that screen.

If your disk doesn't show up, either you have a bad CD/DVD Rom or problems with the disk itself.

I held down "option" but nothing happened. It acted like it was doing something, but the screen just stayed black and the mac stopped processing.

put your CD in the drive, got to system prefs, choose start up disk. then chhose CD rom if the option is offered. otherwise there could be a problem with the disk or the CD drive for that matter

so it recognized the cd when I went into the startup disc, but still won't boot up into it. Would it be a good chance my cd-rom drive might be going bad?

You either have a bad disk, a bad drive, or even a bad or improper Firmware Version.

Double check the minimium firmware(and hardware) required for 10.3....There were still some problems with the 10.2 on some "G3" computers 10.3 will be even more critical.

I would hazard a guess that its probably your CD that has the problem. Make sure you have an OSX INSTALL CD and not a restore CD. then reboot holding down the 'C' key, this should force it to boot from the CD rom drive.
if this fails try swapping a CD drive from one of the other PC's this will indicate if the CD drive is goosed

Well it's not the drive, I swapped the drive, it must be the disc or that firmware thing. I'm going to check the firmware version later.

not the firmware either. guess it's the disc?

but youve already confirmed that the CD works in other machines. so the CD must be fine.
why not swap the Hard drive to one of the other power pc g3s, that you know the CD works on. then do a clean install and put the hard back into your goosed power pc g3. problem solved in the short term. but you may have machine problems which prevent booting from a CD which will need to be repaired in the long term.

so I decided to put 10.2 back on my machine. Then I thought should try to install 10.3 from the cd. It booted up perfectly from the cd. Has anyone heard of a bug that booting into OS 9.2.2 from OS 10.3 hoses the OS 10.3 install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back