Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't boot - File Winnt\System32\config\system corrupt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaner71

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
IT
Hi,
First, I guess this is some common issue!

In the recent past, I've got frequent boot errors,
with blue screen and messages saying "the file ..\System32\config\software was missing or corrupt".
Thinking of some hardware problem, like hard drive failure,
I made some changes to my machine, removing an old UW-SCSI controller and SCSI disk (someone told me that it could be a possible cause) and actually I have a PIII 1Ghz with A-Open M/B and 1,5 Gb of Ram, with a Maxtor IDE Drive 40 Gb.
After the final reinstall (is about the fifth time in few months..) my PC works good for some days, but after a normal session of work, without any new installation, at the next bootup it hangs just during the initial startup,
displaying in less than a second some error message that I can't read, so the screen blanks..
Performing a startup with F8 option I can read "file ..system32\config\system is missing or corrupt". So this time is not the software file but the system one!
Well, reading some papers in other newsgroups I see that there is a limitation to the size of the registry files up to 16 Mb, but the sum of all my files in \config folder doesn't hit 15 Mb!
I've read many old messages about some similar issues in this forum, suggesting many different causes (Promise IDE controller, for ex.)
Can you help me finding some explanation and, if you konw, a way to recover my system file without overwriting with a too old version, with the consequent need to reinstall almost all my applications?

it's a little too common. On my computers, Via 4in1 drivers were causing this.
The only way I was able to recover without re-installing was by having the registry hives backed up already, and then booting to the recovery console to replace them.
You might try booting to recovery console, then renaming winnt/system32/config/system to something else, then renaming "system.alt" to "system". This works sometimes. Other times they're both corrupt. ________
Remember, you're unique... just like everyone else.

Thanks for your help jasen!
Can you tell me more about your suspect about
Via drivers, 'cause I think I've just got the same..

Zaner,

As you mentioned - this is commonly a hardware problem (and if it is, it will keep recurring, until you remove the offending hardware). Elimination techniques include using just one stick of RAM if you have > 1 (try each separately), removing all non-essential (ie, machine will run) hardware (network, sound, modem cards, second & subsequent hard drives, CD writers, zip drives etc), and see if it will run stable for a while. If yes, add back one at a time. Swapping out graphics card, if you have access to another. Also, slowing down the cpu or memory (usually possible from bios or by setting jumpers/switches on mobo) speed is another approach that has worked for me.

Thanks Wolluf,
following your suggestions, I'm thinking about a possible problem due to my 3DLabs Oxygen-Vx1 graphic card..
Do you heard something about it?
Do you think Via drivers could generate some problems too?

Zaner71,

I've not heard or seen anything about that card being a particular problem for win2k (my comments about hardware were more about defective hardware, though incompatible hardware can also cause problems. Does it have proper win2k drivers - is there a reason to suspect its cause of trouble/have you tried swapping it out for another card?)

The Via drivers could also generate problems (as can any unsuitable drivers). Question. Have you installed them? If you have, did the problems start before or after you installed them?

Wolluf,
In fact, my suspect about Oxygen graphic card is only a supposition, based on the fact that I have many others machines working well with Win2K installed and similar configuration (the differences are only graphic cards and Mainboards, which in the specific case - as I told you - uses Via chipset).
About your question: As recommended by the manufacturer, I've installed Via drivers just after the installation of Win2K was complete, and before any other device driver or application.
For my experience, I see that the problem starts after several installations of my applications, so I was thinking about an excessive growth of the 'system' registry file, as they told in the Microsoft newsgroup.. Do you think that this explanation is totally wrong? (In fact, my 'system' corrupted file is only 2,9 Mb..)
Thanks

Zaner71,

It may be useful to find out exactly what that error message that you can't read says. Try hitting pause. I wonder if you may have some flaky bit of plug and play hardware which is not always being enumerated when you boot. Watch the screen and check to see if all your PCI and ISA cards are getting recognized everytime you boot. After a fresh install you want to manually save the registry and stash a copy somewhere. Back it up regularly and you're ready to recover anytime. My registry is currently 17 MB with a max of 70 MB. It seems to me that there's an option to create a bootlog file, but I can't at the moment remember how. Is it in the bootmenu option and/or is it a switch in boot.ini. What you want to do is always have a bootlog and save it after each boot by renaming it. When the problem pops up compare the current bootlog to the previous one, if its hardware you may see something. You may add a second boot option to the boot.ini file adding the switch /basevideo. When the problem pops up, reboot using this option, if all is well, it sure looks like its a video problem. If it was me, I'd install the o/s on a partition all by itself and image regularly. 5-6 mins to image. 2-3 mins to restore. beats reinstalling. Keep watching device manager for hardware problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back