Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't backup a client

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreadm

Technical User
Mar 5, 2007
IT
Hi, i have a server with legato 7.1.2, but i can't backup a client (7.1.2) on machine with linux (centos).

I've tried to backup a directory (with legato installation files) on this client to test it, but legato fail and on the group detail (i've created a 'test' group) i'll get

Unsucessful savesets
* clientname:/home/legato 1 retry attempted
* clientname:/home/legato Connection timed out

Succesful savesets
servername.my.domain.com index:clientname level=full, 2 KB 00:00:07 2 files

A strange thing is that i've another client with the same configuration (centos) and i have no problems with the backup.

Another strange thing is that if i do a traceroute i cant arrive at the server (it stops after the first hop)
but i can ping the server without any problems.

the two machines (client1 and client2) are on a different subnet mask, the one that works is on the same subnet of the server.

Subnets are not the issue as long as the ipaddress can be resolved properly (uniquely in all directions). If this fails, how do you expect a backup to succeed?

Make sure that you have no conflicting entries (DNS and a local hosts file).

Also keep in mind that this can be a firewall issue.

And of course the client daemon must be started at the client.

Of course the client daemon is started on the client

Now we have unlocked the ports used by legato on the firewall
and now the traceroute can reach legato server.

But the backup is still not working.
Now, in the group details i found:

Unsuccessful savesets
* clientname: /home/andrea/legato 1 retry attempted
clientname: /home/andrea/legato: No full backups of this save set were found in the media database; perform a full backup
* clientname: /home/andrea/legato: Reverse DNS lookup failed for address xx.xxx.x.x
* clientname: /home/andrea/legato: Reverse DNS lookup failed for address xx.xxx.x.xx
* clientname: /home/andrea/legato: RPC error: Unable to send
* clientname: /home/andrea/legato: RPC error: Unable to receive
* clientname: /home/andrea/legato: Cannot open save session with lgtoserver.my.domain.com

Successful savesets

lgtoserver.my.domain.com: index:clientname level=9, 1 kb 00:04:19 1 file

So where is the problem?

Not so easy. Try a manual backup from the client first. If this is ok, go and look at your servers file.

the client os is centos (a text based linux) so if i try to use the manual backup i don't have a graphic interface to use.

i've tried to set nsrexecd -i but it doesnt work:

host 'servername' cannot request command execution
nsrexec: Host 'servername' cannot request command execution
permission denied

is there a command line to do a manual backup without the nwbackup graphic interface?

Sure:

save -s server pathname_to_backup_files

However, the error above looks like a servers file problem. Add the NW server to your client's /nsr/res/servers file and
restart nsrexecd. Don't do it from the startup script, just say "nsrexecd" from the command line.

I tried it:

save: Diagnostic: Reverse DNS lookup failed for address xx.xxx.x.x
save: Diagnostic: Reverse DNS lookup failed for address xx.xxx.x.xx
save: RPC error: Unable to receive
save: RPC error: Unable to receive

the legato server (ip and hostname) was /nsr/res/servers before my thread.

Well, the only solution i would suggest is to restart nsrexecd at the client. But i bet you have done this already.

Hey, i've not resolved the problem yet.

Reading the Administrator Guide there is something about the Network Address Translation that must be disabled for each Networker Host.

Maybe the problem is here. I will check it :)

Hello,

you should probably start by resolving the name lookup errors. NetWorker needs to be able to do reverse lookup, so make sure your DNS has a reverse lookup zone. It is usually easiset to start by using the hosts file on both the backup server and the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back