Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't back up the NetWare servers with 6.5 for NT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2000
US
For some reason, I can't get ARCserve to back up the NetWare servers on the network.&nbsp;&nbsp;I'm an NT person, so NetWare isn't really my thing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have performed successful local backups and remote backups of NT servers, but when I attempt to backup NetWare, I get a pile of errors.&nbsp;&nbsp;This is what happens:<br><br>I select the source (a NetWare 4.1 server)<br><br>I select an agent for the source and input the correct IPX#<br><br>In security I input the administrative account for NetWare.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have tried the following variations in the user field:<br>username<br>.username.organization<br>username.organization.<br>.cn=username.o=organization<br>.cn=username,.o=organization<br>ntdomainname\username (wild guessing stage)<br><br>I hit the start backup button<br><br>The main jobs display shows ready, then run now, then calculating session.<br><br>The job properties display shows the address\name of the source, but it doesn't show any contents of the source.<br><br>After about 30 seconds, &quot;Backup Failed&quot; is displayed.<br><br>The following errors appear in the log (in this order)<br>4106-Unable to add job record<br>3073-Unable to logon as user (ASTASK cannot logon as specified user)<br>4107-Unable to update job record<br>3501-Unable to add job to database<br>8511-Unable to connect with client agent<br><br><br>I assume the real problem is in my security or agent selection during backup.&nbsp;&nbsp;But, I have no idea of what I can do differently.<br><br>Any ideas?<br>

If you're using v 6.5 for NT then of course you can't backup a Netware server.

Au contraire! You can back up a NetWare server but you need to have the correct version of the NetWare agent for ARCserve for NT running on the NetWare server. Do you have this? If not, contact your friendly CAI sales rep--s/he'll be happy to sell it to you for a pile of money. [sig][/sig]

Well, I am having a similar problem but not restoring to Netware. I have a large file to restore and just want to dump it to a shared network drive. In otherwords, I just want to use the drive space. Do I have to have an agent to do this too?

(Note: I am trying to use a drive mounted on a Win2000 server - I have tried connecting as the UNC as well as to a mapped drive)

Terri Thomas

Yes, you can back up NetWare from an NT server; I do so on a regular basis. But you do need the appropriate version of the NetWare Push Agent (NWagent) running on your NetWare server. You might also want to have the Open Files Agent installed...

For your user field username, try:
.cn=username.ou=location.o=organization
(Look at the Name Context in the NetWare Client in Network Neighborhood properties on a workstation for your &quot;ou&quot; and &quot;o&quot;.) Make sure that the username you are trying to use does in fact have rights to login to your NetWare server.

Hope this helps your backup errors.

No, you don't need a specific agent to restore files. Since you have the agents to back files up, you've got the agents to restore.

This query is regarding the backup of netware on a windows 2000 machine, where Arcserve 2000
installed.

The Backup server specification: Windows 2000 machine does n't have any SP applied. 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD.

The netware machine:Netware 5, Netshield 4.0.2, SP not applied, and Scan engine 4.1.4.0 running on the machine. The Arcserve2000 client agent for netware has been installed, not licensed. (Please give a brief description of the licensing procedure for netware agent).
A user(administrator.OU.oragnisation/tree)has been created for the backup using Arcserve, this user has administrator rights and also added to the native backup group of Netware giving him the backup privelage.

While taking backup of the netware machine it gives the following errors:

&quot;AE3123 FAILED TO LOGIN TO TSA ON SERVER INNCHN01, FFFDFFD7
AE3022 INVALID PATH - INNCHN01/SYS:\SHELLDATA.SER E
AE3022 INVALID PATH - INNCHN01/SYS:\SHELL.PROPERTIES S
AE3022 INVALID PATH - INNCHN01/SYS:\SHELLDATA.SER OC
AE3022 INVALID PATH - INNCHN01/SYS:\SHELL.PROPERTIES SSTOTAL
DIRECTORIES............. 707.&quot;

FFFDFFD7 in Netware refers to &quot;NWSMTS_INVALID_BBJECT_ID, The object backup idname doesn't match the current object idname&quot;

also gives some information about the same error.

I tried giving the username and password for the tree from the arcserve backup, source console, Client agents, netware, the computer which was added. But Once I give the correct password with the username.organisation unit.tree. The client agent on netware server hangs with the following error.

8-28-20001 6:52:53 pm server-5.0 -4631 [nmID=1001c]
Warning: Server INCHN01 experienced a critical error. The offending process was suspended or recovered. However services hosted by this server may have been affected.

And once I get this error I cannot mount or dismount the arcserve client agent file. And I cann't take backup unless I restart the netware server.

But the funniest part is if I don't give the username and password I am able to take the backup. And this gives the error,AE3123 FAILED TO LOGIN TO TSA ON SERVER INNCHN01, FFFDFFD7. But using this backup I am able to restore the data.

Can please give some clues as for how to proceed in this case. I am not sure whether these backups I take are proper.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back