Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't add vm guests to my Active Diectory domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVN

MIS
Dec 2, 2005
US
I can't add vm guests to my Active Diectory domain. Real physical computers can be added and removed all day long with no problems... Any ideas? VMware Support has yet to be able to solve this problem and I'm getting tired of waiting on them.

I'm running VMware Server 1.0 on a Windows 2003 Enterprise Server, the vm guests are Windows 2003 Enterprise Server too.

GVN

How did you setup the VM guest to access the nic, did you use bridged or one of the other methods? can the guest ping the domain controller, does networking work?

RoadKi11

Are your guest accounts getting network access? Can you ping a domain controller? Sounds like the network isn't setup correctly eithin in VMWare or on the client machines.

VMWare one is pretty old. Can't they get you an upgrade to a newer version?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

VMWare Server 1.0 isnt old, its the freeware version they put out. Just FYI.

RoadKi11

Ah. Didn't know that they had a freeware version. I'm used to the ESX numbering.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)

[noevil]

Yeah they took the GSX Server version and turned it into VMWare Server and made it free.

RoadKi11

Ah, see you learn something new everyday.

Denny

[noevil]

I can ping and map drives for anything on the LAN, just can't add vm guests to my domain. VM clients are setup to use Bridged networking.

what does it do when you try adding the server to AD, any popup messages or event logs? How did you try adding it to the domain, did you tell it to join domain blahblah or blahblah.local? Try adding with the FQDN(blahblah.local) if you havent already. DNS working ok? Can you ping the AD server by name and by ip?

RoadKi11

CASE SOLVED: This was caused by using the default Microsoft 32-bit network adapter driver that came with Windows 2003 Enterprise Server. I had to go to the NIC manufacturer and specifically download the 64-bit driver (in this case it was Broadcom...) and then install it, then reboot. Once I did this, VMware performs fine and I am able to add VM guests to the domain.

GVN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back