Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't add SATA hard disk to HP ML350 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Dec 30, 2009
US
We have HP ProLiant ML350 G4 running SBS 2003. We just installed an image software and need a lot spaces. So we bought a SATA 1TB hard disk. After adding it to the server, we don't see it when booting or after logon. I have tried different hard disk, cables, but that doesn't make any difference. We also run the BIOS. We don't see any place to enable it. Do we need to do any thing on the BIOS or any settings to make it work?

Have you configured it in the ACU?

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

When I run ACU, I can't see it. I think the problem is we connect SATA to the motherboard directly. It is not connect to the controller so that ACU can't see it. I can't see any way to connect the HD to the controller.

The ACU is only for the array controllers.
Do you see the SATA drive in the BIOS? If no, you have a problem there. If yes, what have you done to try and find it once Windows is loaded? Does it show in Device Manager? Does it show in Windows Disk Management utility?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I agree that the ACU is for the array controller only. I have tried many times, but can't see it in the BIOS. Where should I check in the BIOS? I don't think it is hardware issue because I have tried different cables and hard disks.

Regarding the BIOS, I don't know without looking. I'll have to see if I have a server around that I can reboot.

In the mean time, back to the basics. Check:
1. SATA cable is properly seated on both MOBO and drive
2. Power cable is properly seated on drive
3. Drive spins up when power is applied to the server (you may have to remove the cover and possibly even pull the drive out of the chassis to confirm...if so, be very careful with it)
4. Check Windows Device Manager (disk drives and unknown devices). If it's there, does it show as healthy? If yes, then check Disk Management

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thank you for all tips.
I have tried two SATA Hard Disks with different combinations. For example, two DHs connect to tow SATA Connctors. Or HD1 to SATA connector1 or HD1 to SATA connector2. Or HD2 to SATA connector1 or HD1 to SATA connector2. I can feel the drive spins up when the power is on. The Windows Device Manager doesn't show any unknown devices and Disk management don't show the SATA drive.

In my ML110, I can see the SATA drive when booting, but it doesn't show in the ML350 POST.

If you haven't done the updates recently, I would do the BIOS, all firmware, and the PSP (Support Pack). Even if it doesn't fix your issue, its a good idea to keep them current.

Thank you for the article. Can we assume the Integrated 2-Port SATA Controllers in ProLiant ProLiant ML350 G4p servers are not supported?

So, if "HP Systems Insight Manager (HP SIM) and the HP System Management Homepage (SMH) do not support the HP 6-Port SATA RAID Controller or the Integrated 2-Port or 4-Port SATA Controllers in ProLiant ML310 G2 and ProLiant ML350 G4p servers", our option is update the firmware. Am I right?

I don't know if that will work or not. Here is a link to the configuration utility mentioned in the article. That may be your best bet.

Sorry I can't be more help. We only connect our drives to array controllers. This direct attached is a little outside of my knowledge scope.

Will try it and post back with the result. Thank you.

I just discovered this in my ML350 G4p:
There is a jumper on the motherboard just below the ports and next to the fan plugs. It's the jumper for NMI, and is also labeled "SATA model". I connected the two posts on the right with the jumper, and upon booting up, the system recognized my devices plugged into the onboard SATA. I'm not sure if that de-activates the SCSI yet. Still in the process of loading an OS.

I just created an account to let chzkeeper know that he is a gentleman and a scholar -- and a Jedi master to boot. Saved me hours of headache, you did.

I can verify that jumping that pin header activates the SATA ports and didn't have any affect whatsoever on the RAID controller running the existing Server 2003 installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back