Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Add Objects to Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman070578

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2002
GB
I am having a problem adding objects to Active Directory.

If i got to Active Directory Users & Computers,if I try to add a user to active directory manually, I get an error message stating: Windows cannot create the object testuser because: The directory has exhausted the pool of relative identifiers.

Any idea how I can resolve this?

I removed 450 users as was about to re-add them - when this problem first arose. I have just got one PDC in the domain. I did have a BDC, but a raid controller failed in this last week and am waiting a replacement.

d.philpin@dewisant.pembroke.sch.uk

Check your FSMO roles by going to the server command prompt and typing "netdom query fsmo". Make sure all FSMO roles are filled and that the server they are assigned to are on. Sounds like the RID manager might be down.

I agree, your server can't contact the RID Master.

Each DC gets assigned a pool of RIDs that get combined with a Domain SID to give each object in AD a unique number. When the pool is exhausted, a new batch is requested. Your server isn't getting its next batch of numbers.

Verify that DNS is setup properly on that server. Check that the server has registered itself in DNS. You can test this by removing the host entry for the server from DNS and at a command prompt type:

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS
NET STOP NETLOGON
NET START NETLOGON

Verify that the server reregistered in DNS.

Also check your event logs for any indications of replication problems.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

This server is the DNS server. I think this could be related to my BDC going down. This should be my primary server - so is it possible to set the server as the RID master?

d.philpin@dewisant.pembroke.sch.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back