Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't add members to Cross Site Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivasuzi

Programmer
Jun 14, 2002
I created a Cross Site Group. Now when I follow the instructiosn and hit "Add Member" it tells me

"A cross-site group named SiteWideReader doesn't exist.

This makes no sense since it obviously exists as I just created it and I'm staring right at it on my list of groups. I am able to delete it and add it again, but I cannot add members to it.

Any idea what is going on? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

[cat2] *Suzanne* [elephant2]
[wavey] [wiggle]

Hello,

Perhaps you have resolved this allready? If you click on the SiteWideReader cross-site group name do you get an error message? Or is it just when you hit the Add members that generates an error for you?

Are your user account the owner of the cross-site group?
When you hit the add members link, do you get to the
Add Users: SiteWideReader page?

Cheers,
Thomas

Nope still haven't resolved it but I did alert the IT department to check it out. I can click on the SiteWideReader group, then it shows me as the only member and the owner of the group. Then when I hit "Add member" is when I get the error that it doesn't exist. My IT counterpart tested it out and got the same results (except it showed her as the only group member).

Very weird! And I haven't found anything online so it seems to be a unique problem. We are both admins of the site, she is in IT so she is admin to most all the sites.

Thanks for any ideas you may have!

[wavey] [wiggle]

Hello,

Sure sounds like a strange problem. You get the same error with all cross-site groups that you create?

//Thomas

I know I'm late to reply - but yes on ALL Cross-site groups on ANY of my sharepoint sites, we get the same error. It makes me wonder if something is installed incorrectly, but I wouldn't have access to any of that. Perhaps if you knew anything I could tell our IT to look into it.

Thanks for your replies :) even though I forgot to check back!

[wavey] [wiggle]

Well, you might want to check into the sharepoint logfiles and see if there is anything suspicious there.

Are you running SharePoint Portal server or only Windows SharePoint services?

Also, just to double check make sure that the account(s) sharepoint uses for adminstrative tasks has permissions to do all the tasks (i.e access to the databases etc).

Has this problem occured "out of the blue" did it work before? Or has it been like this since the installation?

I can't really think of anything specific now, but if I do I will let you know.

Cheers,
Thomas

I believe it is the SharePoint Portal Server, that's what it says on our main internal page. But I don't have access to all that so I am just assuming.

I have been given admin tasks, but the other girl who was trying to help me is actually kind of a super user (in IT) who has access to absolutely everything. So the admin thing shouldn't be the reason.

We've actually never used the groups and the problem occurred as soon as we first tried to use the groups. I have 6 sharepoint sites and we wanted to create these cross site groups to add users to all 6, or maybe just 3, or whatever I decided. So far we can create the group, and we can put the group into each site - but we can't add members to the group :(

Thanks for trying to help! I was surprised not to find others online complaining of this problem which is why I think there may be something wrong with our set up.

[wavey] [wiggle]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back