Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't add groups when sharing folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

tusifx

Programmer
Apr 6, 2003
US
i'm trying to share a folder on the network and set the permission only to a certain group.

but when i try to add a group in there from the "location" menu, all i see is my own pc, i can't see the other pc where the group or the user that i wanted to add is in.

does anyone know why or even what i'm talking about???

here is where the problem is:
right click on C: drive
click "share and security"
click permission button
under group or usernames: click "add"
you see "object type" and "location"
when i click on "location" i can only see my own pc.
i can't even see any pc that's connected to my network...

make sure you are logged onto the network and a user with admin rights of some capacity

Is this a domain or workgroup? When you share a folder you can only give permissions to groups on the local machine where the folder lives or if in a domain, to domain groups (so, you can't give permissions to another machine's local group)

this is only a home network, so there is no domain.
what i don't understand is that if i can't assign permisson to the group that i created, then how to i porvent others to access my folder?

what i'm trying to do is that i do not want others to have access to my folder on the network, but if i want to, i can log on from a different pc on the network and access that folder.

that's why i want to set the permission on that folder to only me or my group.

now how do if xp pro will not let me chose user or a group that's from another pc or any pc on the network??

If you could do what you're trying MS would probably lose alot of users that use the basic functionality of win2k server.

The best you can do it keep some shares hidden and not tell people the password. put a $ after the sharename and it will be hidden. so you would access it \\computername\sharedfolder$

tusifx,

1. Make sure you have simplified sharing turned off (folder options, view).

2. Now when you've shared a folder/drive, go into share permissions and remove the Everyone entry.

3. With simplified sharing turned off, users on other machines will only be able to access yours if their username/password also exists as a user on your machine. And with Everyone removed, you can add/remove specific usernames or groups from your machine to trhe permissions, with level of access you require. To use groups, add the user accounts on your machine which match the other machine logons to a local group on your machine (create one or more if you wish). Then add that group to the share permissions.

This is quite straightforward if you only have a few users (like your family) - more complicated and time consuming if many (which is what NT/2lk/2003 server is for). Please post back if its not clear.

Hi wolluf, thanx for your help everythings works.

so from what you are saying, the only way windows xp pro can keep other from accessing my folder is to set permission only to me, and creat a same username and password on all the other PCs that i want to access from.

isn't this lots of things you have to do just to share a file?

let's say on "PC 1" I have a username "Kevin" and it's under a group that I created call "ME". now i want to share a folder only I have access on "PC 1", so I removed the group "everyone" from the permisson and add only the group "ME" which user "Kevin" is in it.

On my "PC 2" I have a username "bob". now how can i add "bob into the group on "PC 1" so he can access my folder also?

please don't tell me i have to add a user "bob" on "PC 1" then add "bob" to the "ME" group on "pc 1"

Thanx for your help again.

'please don't tell me i have to add a user "bob" on "PC 1" then add "bob" to the "ME" group on "pc 1"'

sorry - but that's what I am telling you!

As I said, its not too bad if you only have a few users/machines on network. But you need a server based domain network to make this type of user administration more manageable (ie, with domain users/groups which are valid for all machines on network and managed in one place on the server). Without that you're stuck with setting up all network users on all machines before you can apply security reasonably (afaik - would be nice if someone has a better method with no server, but I've not seen one yet).

I love microsoft....

thanx for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back