Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't add domain users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teamaker

Technical User
Oct 15, 2002
GB
I am having trouble adding and removing domain users to local groups on my XP laptop. When i open the group to show members i get a list of local users but only an SID for domain users, if i try to add a domain user i can only browse for local users.

It is a members of the domain and i can log on as domain admin and access all admin shares, anyone had this prob???

A good cup of Tetly

So, you're at list of members in a group and you click on add. Do you have a drop down look-in box? Have you pointed that to doamin rather than local machine?

When i go to add then locations i can only see the local machine.

A good cup of Tetly

Oh and the machine keeps losing it's network authentication as well not connectivity as I can still use the internet and ping the servers it just suddenly wont connect for some reason.

Can y shed any light on that???

!!A good cup of Tetly!!

Do it from the command prompt.
net localgroup groupname domainname\domainusername

groupname=your localgroup
domainname=your domain name
domainusername=your domain user account

Matt J.

Not to worry guys found out that it's a DNS problem and XP is alot more fussy about this than 2k, got it sorted now though.

Cheers :)

!!A good cup of Tetley keeps the madness at bay!!

I am having the same problem where it doesn't show the domain in locations. What exactly did you have to do in DNS?

We had some hero's in to fix a prob and they set all the stations to use our ISP for DNS resolution :) the Win 2k machines coped ok but when we started to use XP it all went to hell.

As soon as I changed these settings it worked very well I could see the active directory in the Users and groups applet witch never showed up before :) and I could domain user names instead of a list of SID's that were showing up previously.

hi all
i think you have to see if you type a correct DNS or nor ?
go to TCP/IP propreties and type the correct Preferred DNS Server
it will working

Ahmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back