Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access Win XP files from another PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhall51

IS-IT--Management
Oct 30, 2001
I am trying to access shared files, and C$ from the network. I can see my WinXP machine, but when it asks for a login and password, nothing works. I've never had this trouble before. Am I doing something wrong?

The login ID and password should be whatever you use to logon to your XP box. Remember that it is case sensitive.
(I know that this probably isn't much help, but logically that should solve the problem)

That's no help. I have always been able to connect when I was running Win2000 or NT, but XP has been a different story. I have tried every combination of user names and passwords. I am using only two passwords. One Admin account and one user account.

Yup, it's different with XP, you'll have to enable the Guest account in order to access the files on that particular XP machine. Just go into the Sharing tab of the drive or folder that you want to share on an XP machine. Then click the use simple file sharing, ignore the warning, after that, you'll be able to read and write files. Of course you'll have to do New Permissions since the C$ will be hidden to other computers.

If you have NTFS and later wanting to change the attribute of the files on that machine from another machine remotely, then just go into Folder Options, in the View tab, uncheck the box that says Use simple file sharing (Recommended)

That's all, hope this help.

Hmmm, I've got the same problem in reverse. I can access an XP machine with Win2K but canNOT access the Win2K machine with XP. Keeps asking me for a password. I've used every combination I can think of (including the logon name and password for the Win2K machine)but nothing works. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

This is all a result of having to reformat the XP machine and reinstall everything. Probably some simple thing but it's got me stymied.

I know the network is in proper working order since I can share the internet connection on the XP machine with the Win2K machine. What I CAN'T do is access the Win2K machine's "C" drive from the XP machine. (And yes, the Win2K machine's "C" is shared.)

Thanks in advance for the smart person who tells me what to do.

did you try to use this login format? -
path: "win2k_machine_name"\c$
id: "win2k_machine_name"\administrator

Hers's what u have to do,

Scenario 1: XP can access 2K files, but 2K can't access XP

This means that the account that you're currently logged into the XP machine is the same username and password as one account on the 2k machine. 2K machine can't access XP files is b/c XP's Guest account is not enable.

Scenario 2: XP can't access 2K files, but 2K can access XP

This means that the account you're currently logged into the XP system does not match any username or password on the 2K machine. 2K machine can access XP files is b/c XP's Guest account is enabled.

To solve the problem, do what I said on the above post.

This may sound a little patronising to some of you but

1) Have you made sure that both computers belong to the same workgroup? To check this, right click on "my computer" on each machine, then properties, then computer-name, and make sure they're the same for both machines.

2) If you want to use different workroup names then go into control panel, then user accounts, and make sure that the guest account is enabled and that the password is set correctly. you should only have to enter the password once per session.

Hope this helps guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back