Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeteky

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
US
I have two computers connected to an RCA router in my home. One has the ip of 192.168.1.11, and the other has the ip of 192.168.1.12. Both have a gateway of 192.168.1.1, and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. However, one computer cannot access the Internet. The firewall is also unable to start on that computer. It can access the other computer through the network, but not the internet. The other computer works just fine. I have no idea what is going on.

A 1/2 empty glass + 1/2 empty glass = 1 empty glass.

tcpip gathering the address from the router or hard coded in the network settings?
what happens if you go to a dos window and tracert ?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

It says that the host cannot be resolved. I checked the ports on the router by switching the cables and it still didn't work on the first computer. However, I did check for malware and found "Windows ad manager". Could this be causing all my problems? I removed it but still no dice. What else can I do? I already reinstalled the OS but it didn't change anything.

What is ICS?

ICS - Internet connection sharing to enable multiple computers to use the same internet connection. Search for ICS win98 on google and you will find plenty of set up guides and help.

It was working previously, and then, one day, it just decided to stop working. I tried a clean install of windows on a second hard drive and got a connection. I downloaded windows updates and restarted. Now I get an error message that says "Himem.sys is missing. Please make sure it is in your windows directory." How do I fix this? Himem.sys is in the windows directory.

you can get that file from the win98 startup disk. try copying it to the windows directory.

Done and done again. And still no detection of himem.sys. I had this problem on another computer and a new install of windows fixed that, but this computer doesn't have a working CD-ROM drive and Windows doesn't install remotely in DOS for some reason.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! A new install of Windows while maintaining the files already on it was the solution. I can now use my computer normally again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back