Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't access the bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgam

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
IE
hi. I've a dell gx260.i have red hat installed on the pc.anyhow pc had not been turned on for a few months.anyhow i turned it on today and i get a message saying ' automatic ide configuration' then about 5 seconds later the pc powers off!! I cannot access the bios settings.I've tried various bootdisks and even partition magic - but nothing happens.I've replaced the ram,different hard drive,disconnected the cd rom + floppy drives, and still i get the same message! i've tried everything i can think of but nothin works. any ideas folks??

Hi there, to access the BIOS SETUP you usually hit F1 or DEL (on some systems ESC or F2 aswell)...

make sure that the CPU HS Fan is functioning correctly! as it seems that your system CPU is shutting down due to too high a temperature...

Ben

BigBadBen provided you with the common keys used to access a bios, however these are not all there is. For example I've worked on various older PC's that required bizzar key combinations "ctrl+c" for example gave bios access for a Toshiba Laptop

If you tried what "BigBadBen" suggested and you're still not able to access the bios, it may be worth while to go to the "MFG" site and obtain what ever documention you can find on your system. They should have the information you require somewhere.

Alternatly, you could ask support, even if your warrantee is expired most will give you basic information such as bios acces keys etc. Apple, and Sony for example get a "2 Thumbs up" for this as they don't have to talk to unsupported customers, but do anyway.

Good Luck

clear cmos (no battery/unplugg power), check battery before putting back in.

hi all, thanks for all suggestions - but i did actually try all of those methods before posting the message.and i also had no look with support.so if any other ideas come to mind - please post
thanks

Few more key combinations - (though it sounds like something might have fundamentally gone wrong).

Another suggestion - 'hammer' keybaord as it boots to generate keyboard error - usually offers option to access bios settings when this happens.

Also have you tried disconnecting all the hardware (except keyboard, graphics) - in case its a bad piece of hardware causing the porblem.

Why not flash the Bios, if you have tried everything else.

Well he said earlier that the PC powers off after 5 seconds so BIOS upgrade is out of the question...

(1) Try a different PSU just to make sure that's not the cause of the rather abrupt shutdown.

(2) Try disconnecting all drives, both power and data cables, remove any cards plugged into mobo other than video, and see if that will goad it into the BIOS.

(3) Another trick is to hold down the <Ins> key whilst powering up the computer - this sometimes causes default settings to be applied.

(4) Plug in a different keyboard just in case the usual one is playing up.

Good luck!

ROGER - G0AOZ.

did you verify hw, esp. mb (check capacitor) and check voltages while running (mb can be gone)

Hi the Dell’s my area of desperandum!!!!
Has GOAOZ said do remove everything from motherboard leave only keyboard and monitor listen to the motherboard beeps.
If ok it will beep once if more it means you got problems. Each different beep is one particular prob.

Now if you have done this and by pressing DEL key (which is the Dell bios key) and it will not display the menu, you must set jumper p6 (or J4) to pin 2-3 which will at power on flash the bios room.
Then put power off and set the jumper to 1-2 and power on and press del it will go in the bios even the password protection will be reset at this point.

If not then do remove the battery from motherboard and power on this time it must flash the bios because it has no power to retain the settings

Let me know how it goes

Perito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back