Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Access TECHTV.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmcc2

Technical User
May 16, 2002
US
For some reason I can't access TECHTV.COM anymore. I have tried turning off zone alarm, tried pinging the address as well. Nothing seems to work. I had the same problem with microsoft.com a few days ago but its work now. I can access TECHTVCANADA.com. Anybody have this problem before?

Try running the Disk Cleanup program to delete any Temp files and your Temporary Internet files and see if that helps you.

Thanks for the reply, but that did not work.

Are you using the Hosts file to restrict access to any sites? Check the Hosts file and see if that site is mentioned in there.

What is the exact error message you are getting?

This url is available to me without problems.

Have you tried using System Restore to go back a few days when you could access that site?

The first thing to do is set Zone Alarm to not start at bootup and restart the computer. That will pretty much rule it out as the culprit. Most likely this is not the problem though since you can browse other sites.

Then opening a command prompt and type "ping . This server would not reply to pings when I tried but you should get an IP address back. I got 38.114.129.205

If you get "Unknown host" back from the ping then the problem is DNS resolution and the problem is in the network and has nothing to do with browser settings. This could be a problem with your ISP's DNS server or something like a firewall or spyware blocking DNS resolution on your computer.

If you get an IP address back from the ping then the problem is not in your network but in your browser settings. Check for proxy and security settings as well as cookie setting in your browser.

My guess is that your ISP's DNS server is the source of your problem. You can test this by asking others from the same ISP if they have the same problem or you could use different DNS servers. I know that UC Berkeley had free public name servers with IPs 128.32.136.9 and 128.32.136.12 but I don't know if they are still working and I have not tested them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back