Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cant access stations from server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mturner

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2001
GB
hi again.

just found this out, when i try to access or map a drive to any station on my system it says the network path cannot be found, the station name is displayed in network neiborhood but it cant be accessed, the stations can access the server thoough. this is just getting really strange now!, any help would be greatley apriciated.

TIA

Marc Turner

Sounds like a WINS issue to me.

Check the WINS settings on both clients and servers.

Can you ping the clients ?

Good luck.

In addition to MikelB's suggestion, you want to look into these basic items:

1)The account used in the server has rights to use the drives in the workstation.
2)The drives are shared.
3)The drives have the default administrative share (C$, etc) and that the account you use to access it is a member of the local administrators.

Hope this helps.

Can ping stations. not that up on wins, could you explain deeper? thanks. the accont on server has full access rights to drives on stations, the drives are shared and admin shares are there.

Thanks

Marc Turner Marc Turner
Network Manager

E-Mail: Mturner@turnerm3.fsnet.co.uk

WINS stands for Windows Internet Name Service - and is basically a NetBIOS name to IP address resolution service (similar to DNS).

You should have at least one WINS Server on the network, running on NT4 Server, and all your clients should point to that WINS Server.

The WINS Server is installed on the "Services" tab of the Network properties page under Control Panel (NT Server only), and the clients point to it in their TCP/IP Properties page, on the "WINS Configuration" tab (or if you use DHCP, you set it up on the DHCP Server). [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

thanks for explaining about wins, i have been useing it all this time without knowing!. anyway i managed to fix the prob i uninstalled all protocalls rebooted and re installed them then re applied sp6a.

thanks for all your help

Marc Turner Marc Turner
Network Manager

E-Mail: Mturner@turnerm3.fsnet.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back