Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't access SharPoint from the internet. Intranet only

Status
Not open for further replies.

waely

Programmer
Dec 7, 2003
US
hi guys,
I'm new to this. I just started working in a company that is using Sharpoint locally but they want to access it from their home PC. I can access the program using the intranet but not the internet. can someone help me setting up the configurations so we can access it remotly.

we use Win 2000 server. I like to authenticate users by their NT login if possible.

any help is appreciated.

by the way I have SharePointTM Portal Server 2001.
thx

Is the sharepoint server on a DMZ or some public place where the users at home can access it?

sorry, I'm not sure what DMZ is. users can access it from work only, intranet, and I want them to be able to access it from home.

thanks

Hello...

You are going to have to open port 80 on your firewall (if it exists) so that outside web traffic can enter your network. Once you have done that, you should be able to access the server by its IP address providing it is on a static address. If it is not, and your internet connection is, you can still do it by adding a port foward on your router to take all traffic on a specific port and route it to a specific internal IP address. If your internet connection does not have a static IP address, then it can still be done but you will need the help a outside service like dns2go (dns2go.com) that will monitor your connection for IP address change and forward all traffic to the current IP address. With the service, you would end up accessing your server by something like Actually, this software is pretty helpful because you can do stuff like have that domain transfer to some odd port number, then once it hits your router, you can have your port forward send the traffic to the internal IP address of the server on port 80. That way, technically speaking, port 80 will not be open to the public on your network. Its still open, but they would need to know the exact port to enter on. And as far as the NT logins, this will be the same as you how you login from the intranet. If you dont have logins setup for the intranet access, then you will need to do so before opening the door to the outside world.

Anyways, hope any of that helped. I know its a lot of info, but if you need me to be more specific about any one of the things a mentioned above, just let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back