Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't Access My Website!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLASHfreak1021

Programmer
Dec 11, 2003
US
Hey!
Well, I have Apache 1.3.7/PHP 4.3.0 up and running w/ MySQL and PHPMyAdmin succesfully, thanks all to RhythmAce, i mean seriously dude, you are a lifesaver. But, I am having problems. First of all, I am connected on a network. Do I type in my Computers IP Address, or the IP of my router, which I have configured for port forwarding, to access my webpage. Whichever I do, I get a "Forbidden" message. And also, I inly says that message on my computer. If I try it on another it says the internet explorer DNS error page. I'm not quite sure I have apache configured to listen for an HTTP request right. Need some help, please!
FLASHfreak :cool:
not feeling so good... This is all so confusing, but I'm motivated, only because free webservices stink. Flash for Life!

It seems like dns is pointing to your new ip every time it changes because I can see that at the bottom of my browser. Here are a few things I need to see EXACTLY as you have them in httpd.conf.

ServerName
DocumentRoot
Listen
exact path to index.html (this MUST be the same as DocumentRoot)
copy and paste the directory container for DocumentRoot
is port 8080 being blocked by isp? If everything here is correct, then it is possible that your isp is giving you a NAT address and the outside world cannot access this address directly.

Okay, I will reply to this tommorow, because I am reinstalling the phpdev4_423 thing, because I messed up the httpd.conf file be accidentally deleting it (oops :)). So I need to reconfigure it. I will give you the parts of HTTPD.conf tomorrow.

FLASHfreak :)
- The Flash Experience

Okay, i am going to install only Apache HTTP Server 2.0.48, and not PHP/MySQL/PHPMyAdmin/mod_perl quite yet. First, lets just get down to the basics is the way I like to think of it. Lets all be optimistic. CAn I use ports such as 15172 to use Apache on if port 8080 is blocked? Havn't checked if 8080 is blocked yet, but I am going to soon.

FLASHfreak :)
- The Flash Experience

Yes, you can listen more or less on any port.

BUT if you listen on a different port, you will need to change the url to access it slightly.

For example, to use port 15172, you need to specify it in the URL:

D

Yes - to my knowledge, if something else is listening on that port, apache will tell you and won't start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back