Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access my website from outside of router

Status
Not open for further replies.

WallIsland

Programmer
Jul 28, 2003
US
I have installed the newest apache 2.0, and the server running windows server 2003. i also forwarded port 80 from my router.
i use dyndns.org for my website, so the name is mysite.dyndns.org.
the ip registered in dyndns.org is my WAN ip.

when i type in localhost from my server computer, it works, so as my LAN ip address and mysite.dyndns.org.
but when i try to access my page using my other computer on the network, it didn't go through, except when i type in my LAN ip.
i didn't change anything in httpd.conf, do i have to in order to view my page out side the router?

Here's one way to do it. In your WINNT folder (I'm assuming this will work just like Windows 2000) go to system32/drivers/etc/ If you don't find a file called "hosts" do a search of your PC for that file. Open it with a plain text editor and it will tell you what to type (for example I typed):
Then, when you type your redirect hostname in your browser the page will come up. I think that's what you're trying to do.

sleipnir214, i'm not sure what you were trying to tell me. do you mean that if i have a website server running, i can't go to that website using my other computer on the same network? thanks for the help

Try setting your port to something like 8500, I can't remmember the exact numbers but there are restrictions on lower number ports serving to external users without permission.[2thumbsup]

If it works from the server machine and works from the internet, but not from a different machine on the LAN, the problem is that your router does not support loopback. In that case, use the hosts file like 888guy mentioned above.

WallIsland:
You can get to the server, just not by using the routeable IP address. You'll have to use the non-routeable internal IP address to get to the server.

This is because the non-routeable address does not exist on your network, so your computer will send its packets to your border router, which should be your default gateway. Unless that router can and has been specifically told to loop packets for that address back into itself, those packets cannot be delivered.

You can hit the site from the internal network addressed. The advice from 888guy, adding entries to your hosts file, is good and probably the easiest thing to do.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back