Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access drive mapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwados

Vendor
Oct 30, 2001
US
I Have 'R' drive mapped to a share on a server that is not on the domain. Supply credentials for that server and everything works fine. Every morning when I try to access my 'R' drive, I get the error message "the local device name is already in use...." When I disconnect the drive letter and re-map it, it works fine till tomorrow morning. Any ideas?

how are you mapping the drive? if you using a bat file to map it then try disconnecting the drive before you map it. try the following code for a *.bat file

if exist r:\*.* net use r: /delete
net use r: \\servername\sharedpath

hope this helps.

Thanks Moby and Sid. To answer your question Sid, I am not using a batch file I am manually mapping the drive. I think this has to do with the the drive mapping timing out after a period of inactivity. I have turned off autodisconnect. I will post my findings tomorrow morning. Again thanks a million guys\gals.

Edwados - Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I'm having the exact same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back