Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access domain while adding users [Active Directory]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdriver

Instructor
Apr 25, 2002
US
At work, our domain server was recently upgraded to Windows 2000 with Active Directory.

Now, on my Windows XP workstations, I can not access the list of domain users to add to a shared folder or to a group (ex. Power Users). When I try to do either of these, in the box labeled location, there is nothing to choose except for the name of the actual computer I'm at.

Also, a separate Windows 2000 server is used as a file server only (not a domain controller) and I was always able to access it. Now I can't. (On this server, I have given my account name full access.)

I did not do the Windows 2000 Active Directory upgrade. I'm not sure if the person who did it knows what the problem is either.

I'd appreciate any and all help or ideas.
Thanks in advance.

I'm having exactly the same problem as you are describing!
At least you're not alone anymore :)
I've looked for info and till now not found any :-(

However a colleague says it's working fine for him and he will check what is different on his machine (or W2K domain)

I hope to hear from him soon, and I will let you know ...

OK, me too! I am logged on to the domain on the computer as the domain admin and I still only see the computer in the location selections. I hope we can get answers soon - this has been driving me nuts for a week.

I read on Tek Tips a suggestion to run NSLookup. [If you do it from the Command Prompt, you can copy & paste it.]

I got this:
H:\>nslookup
*** Can't find server name for address 10.100.1.10: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 10.100.1.10

I checked at a different server and got a different DNS setting (using NSLookup) and used that as the "Preferred DNS" instead of "obtain automatically". This fixed THIS problem. On our network, I have a different problem now, but this should work for you.

At least I was able to browse AD and choose the group!

I don't want to CROSS POST, but if you want to read of the next problem, check the Microsoft: Windows 2000 Server area for the post titled: How do I add to PowerUsers group from AD Server?

FYI: When I was unable to browse the AD from the workstation, I tried to accomplish the same thing from the server and couldn't. That's why I posted at the Windows 2000 Server area.

you should try to ping your domainname

e.g. ping mycompany.com

if this answers, your DNS is configured OK and you should be able to browse your groups ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back