Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cant access disk, need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjornis

Technical User
Feb 20, 2001
SE
Hi!
I have big problems, something happened with my disk (c: 8GB and D: 30GB on ibm 120xp 40GB) and i cant start windows again. Dont know if i virus hit me (dont think so since i had norton installed) or a faulty RAM did the trick. I have tried to repair it but the recovery console wont find the installed XP, just says wrong path or something like that. Tried to make a new install on another disk and then import old C: and D: but get an error message that says something like "the disk dont have a correct image".

The disk is a dynamic disk, is that why i cant import it?

Really dont want to format it since i have soma data that i would like to keep.

I can boot from it and get os-selection screen (had two xp installation) and when i choose the first one i get the 0x0000007b error and when i try to start the second installation i get the "missing ....\system file"

I really hope somone have an idea hove i can keep the data on the disk.

/Bjornis

When I had a similar problem, I had to repair the system files on the XP installation. You will have to reload all the drivers...video, audio, etc, but you don't loose the data. Here are the steps from the Knowledgebase article that got me through it. I printed the article, but the # doesn't show, or I'd tell you which one it i for future reference. I'd print this too as it is quite involved.

1. Start the computer to the XP cd. (change the bios to boot to CD if you have to)
2. Select the recovery console from the installation options.
3. In the recovery console, select the effected XP installation, since you have two, you need to know which one is the bad one.
4. type "cd system32\config" (don't type any of my quotations) and press enter.
5. type "dir system" and enter
6. type "ren system system.bak" and press enter
7. type "copy c:\windows\repair\system" and hit enter

These are the directions for fixing system files in XP, so I think they should fix the second installation as it sounds just like the problem I had a while back. Of course I had no way to get online to check the knowledgebase. I think the retards at Microsoft should put more comprehensive troubleshooting stuff in thier packaging instead of all the gloosy pictures and the self hype. What happened to the good old days when 3.1 came with a manual two inches thick? My XP has absolutely nothing about the problems you might encounter, just three pages of "WOW!, look at us, we can make your computer look like an Anime cartoon!"

Up The Irons!

Of course, if you can't find the installation in the recovery console (just reread you post, duh) none of this will help. I would try taking disk one out of the computer and just fixing the system files on the second. Then put disk one back in and let the good XP have a whack at it.

Up The Irons!

burd44
I have the same problem as Bjornis. I can not access my disk or OS at all. I am getting a Read disk error message. I can access recovery console but I get no response with the "cd system\config" suggestion. I have gone as far as trying Fixboot and Fixmbr to no avail. My main concern is to recover my data. It looks like I might have lost my partition table. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried all of the Microsoft Knowledge Base help articles that seem to be related to my issue but again nothing works. By the way, my problem started when I tried to install ATI All in Wonder video card. Card works great with Win98.

burd44

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back