Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access certain websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

magix71

Technical User
Jun 9, 2004
AU
Hi guys!

I am having trouble accessing some websites (eg Hotmail, Yahoo, abc.net.au etc).

I am running XP, Internet explorer v6.0 and have installed Norton Antivirus 2003 (live updated to 09 June 04) which detected no viruses. The system is otherwise stable and normal.

Any ideas???

Thanks

Magix71

Are you able to open other general sites?
If yes then check the security/privacy settings in internet options..set it to the lowest n check wether it works?

You can also try adding hotmail.com to trusted sites to test..

Also install necessary IE6 patches thru windows update.

Hotmail accounts require that the date and time on your workstation are set correctly. Often clearing your temporary internet file cache will eliminate the problem, but a list of steps to take:
For the other non-secure sites you list, try the following:

Open a new notepad session, to be called IE_fix.cmd, and copy/paste the below:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Msjava.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Browseui.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Save the file, then double click IE_fix.cmd and answer the prompts. Ignore any error messages.

Reboot and test again.

See:

Thanks guys, but the problem persists. Someone suggested that it is a worm and I should try rebuiding the hard drive.

I would follow carefully the steps in faq608-4650 before reinstalling Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back