Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can't access cd/dvd drives 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

draugen

Programmer
Nov 24, 2004
NO
I have a brother that allowed a webserver program access to internet in order view a film-clip that was sent thru facebook. Now he can't access internet, except thru safe mode. He also can not access his cd/dvd drives, because his computer can't find the drive 'rutines'. I had him try to update the drivers. I then had him unninstall the cd/dvd devices, and then rebooting his computer, in order to get these drives back in working order. Nothing helped. To format his harddrive he need these drives, but his computer report that none are there. Please help!
Thanks ahead of time.

Very confusing post - hard to follow. After you do what I mention, try to explain the problem better IF it's not fixed. Boot to safe mode for these, to A) download them and B) run them.

Try a malware scan. Download, install and allow this program to update itself. Go ahead and do it from Safe Mode.

If that doesn't fix you, get this program and follow instructions.

His opticals can disappear in XP but be usable for reloading the OS after a cold boot. Try a google search for "missing optical drive" for an explanation.

Suspect that malwarebytes will resolve the internet problem but suggest that there be some protection on the machine to prevent further issues.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Now he can't access internet"
Have you check the NIC that there are no DNS or IP settings there?
If you dont know where to find it just run this
copy and paste both of these to reset it, hope it's called Local Area Connection

Start -> Run -> cmd /c netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" dhcp
Start -> Run -> cmd /c netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" dhcp
Have you checked the hosts file for any new entries
copy and paste this
Start -> Run ->notepad C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
Have you reset IE? Internet Option -> Advanced TAB
Have you checked the Connections TAB?

"He also can not access his cd/dvd drives"
This has worked for me in the past

And see if any new policies have been addded to this registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer\

for example NoViewOnDrive

But like everyone says do a virus scan too..

MCITP:EA/SA, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCTS, MCP+I, MCP

I suspect malware due to internet problem, but Linney's advice is spot-on if it was JUST a CD/DVD problem.

I recommend his and my advice as first/second in either order.

Goombawaho
I suspect malware due to internet problem, but Linney's advice is spot-on if it was JUST a CD/DVD problem.I recommend his and my advice as first/second in either order.
You diagnosed the problem right. And I did use the Malwarebytes program. He (my brother) had 58 malwares on his computer. The Malwarebytes program fixed all of them and his internet problem was gone once he rebooted. He send his Thanks, as do I.

Linney, my brother and I thank you too. Thanks to you suggestion the cd/dvd drives are back up and running.

I gave you both a star

A big Thanks.

Christian.

You and your brother are most welcome, glad to be part of the solution.

Perhaps he should now look at the "why" he picked up 58 bits of malware. I bet he is surfing as an Administrative user rather than as a Limited user?

Cool - glad it be fixed. Tease your brother about not visiting all those adult sites any more. Run that MBAM scan once per month (update from the update tab before running) to keep things clean.

It is NOT a substitute for a good A-V program because it doesn't run in real time, but it will usually clean what gets by the A-V. Don't ask me why the PAID A-V can't stop these things - that's another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back