Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can't access a shared folder after time

Status
Not open for further replies.

badcode

Programmer
Aug 7, 2002
US
I have a Windows 08 Server Standard on a Workgroup. The workstations are WinXP Pro & Home. All of the workstations can access the share folder for about 10/12 hours then all of a sudden it stops. If I reboot the server I can reaccess the share folder. The share is set to full rights for everyone. There is no password on/for the workstations.

i am having a similar issue but my case is a domain enviroment and the server in question is a same windows 08 standard edition file server hosting all the shared folders.
The behavior is same because I have to reboot before shares can be available but noticed that the network path is lost when such issue occours so what is casuing that.
by the way what antivirus is installed on your server because i checked on technet forum and another person was experiencing same but he suggested that the symantec endpoint protectin that runs on my server be disabled as part of the troubleshoot.
I disabled the network protection componet but after 5 days it surfaced again so I am wondering if you have been able to have a solution to this problem so that you can assit.

I currently use Symantic AV 10. Also the server does not have a static IP which I will change. The strange thing is i set up a VM on the server running WinXP Pro and it never looses its connection. I am planning on replacing the switch to see if it is a switch issue.

Since the system did not show anything in the eventlog, I was just thinking connectivity issue. I moved that server to a different port on the switch and monitoring what may happen and also disabled the network protection componet of the symantec endpoint protection.
I am monitoring the issue for the next 5 days and I have a new 3com 48ports switch which I plan of replacing because the old 24port 3com is almost 7years.I suggest you have static IP configurations for the server.
will keep intouch with any development.

badcode I was wondering if you have been able to find a solution to this problem since I tried to disable the symantec but that did not resolve the issue and yesterday, I had to reboot 2 times before shares restored but when that happens, it hanks all workstations when they access the mapped drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back