Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

canot turn off system restore or reduce amount of space 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny45

Technical User
Apr 9, 2007
US
I for some reason cannot turn off my system restore or even reduce the size. It tells me to reboot and try again and when I do it tells me exactly the same thing. I am wanting to run a virus scan on the area used for restore and cant cause I cant turn it off, any ideas on how to repair the system restore?? Please Help kenny45_67333@hotmail.com

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

It is advisable to turn off/turn on System Restore to remove all restore points AFTER you have cleaned your machine of any infection. Restore points should only be removed after positive detection and NOT BEFORE, in case you need them if it turns out to be another problem that is not "malware".

How to Disable the System Restore Configuration User Interface

Q302796 - Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP

Q295659 - The Registry Keys and Values for the System Restore Utility

Q299904 - The System Restore Utility May Be Suspended on a System Drive Even Though There Is Enough Disk Space

System Restore is a Service listed in Services which can be Disabled.

WOW IT WILL NOT COME UPO IN SAFE MODE JUST NORMAL - IT WONT EVEN LET ME REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE RESTORE AREA. IM THINKING I MIGHT HAVE A VIRUS IN THERE OR SOMTHING HELP ME PLEASE I HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO FIX THIS THANKS KENNY

I TRYED AND IT WONT COME UP IN SAFE MODE JUST NORMAL STILL WONT EVEN LET ME REDUCE THE SIZE OF THE RESTORE AREA I AM AFRAID I MIGHT HAVE A VIRUS IN THAT AREA AND CANT GET TO IT TO GET RID OF IT HELP ME OUT HERE PLEASE THANKS KENNY

What will not come up in Safe Mode, the error message or System Restore?

Do you have the same problem if you logon as another Administrative User, perhaps you could use the Built-in Administrator in Normal Mode?

Any virus in System Restore folders is not going to impact on your machine unless you restore it from System Restore in the first place. To get a virus in your System Restore points you would have to deleted any virus in the first place.

What virus scanner are you using? Does it have any preferences or exclusions set to ignore the System Restore folder (System Volume Information)?

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with System Restore.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

it wont boot up in safe mode it gives me a blue screen saying their has been an error and to restart windows. Yes I have Norton 2006 system works. Also I just found out that no one on my network here at work can access my work files anymore says they need a password wnich I have never set on up like that thank all of you so much for your help PLEASE keep trying Kenny

kenny,
Have you spoken to a system admin? It seems that a group policy has been set to prevent users from disabling System Restore.

So that takes us back to the question as to whether or not you can even sign into the PC with administrative rights.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

What is the Stop Error number you are seeing in Safe Mode?

WinXP Pro won't boot into safe mode
thread779-1020730

Windows XP Home won't reboot into safe mode.
thread779-1110534

Spontaneous Reboot in Safe Mode
thread779-1263281

WinXP Connectivity Issues
faq779-4625

Some antivirus software have a hidden firewall component built into them too.

Is File and Print Sharing enabled in your LAN Properties?

Kenny,

Find someone who has an XP disk that has the recovery console on it. Startup the recovery console, log onto drive C and run chkdsk /r. It may take an hour or two but it should do the job.

Regards,
David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back