Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canon Multipass F50 can't handle 2 users on XP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

daldous

Technical User
Feb 23, 2002
US
Printer worked fine on WIN98se. After "upgrade" to XP; If you are 1st user after boot (LPT1:), printer works fine for whoever is 1st after boot. Switch to 2nd user(whoever is 2nd), prnter cannot initialize. Message box about MPservices...etc. Either user can Goto control panel--> printers, & test page prints fine.

Downloaded Canon fix--~600Kbyte -- no help! Uninstalled Multipass suite 4.0 and downloaded Canon version 12.8 Mbyte, no help! Same message for 2nd user. Very frustrating!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

daldous

If XP or 2000, tell her to do a COMPLETE unisntall using the following
> method:
>
> There are three separate steps and all three must be complete for XP to
> 'see' the new drivers.
>
> Disconnect the printer.
>
> Go into the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and uninstall any printer,
> fax and scanner
> software.
>
> Then go to Printers & Faxes and right click and delete your printer and fax.
>
> Reboot the PC. Do NOT reconnect the printer. Go back to Printers & Faxes
> in the Control Panel and from the toolbar, select File, Server Properties.
>
> In the drivers tab, delete all the entries for the printer and fax.
>
> Go into the Device Manager and look for the line "Imaging Devices". Click
> on the + to expand the tree. Highlight any imaging devices present that
> refer to the Multifunction Unit, right click and select Uninstall.
>
> Reboot the PC. Do NOT reconnect the printer.
>
> Download a new set of drivers from the printer manufacturer's website
>
> Follow the instructions at the printer manufacturer's website and only
> connect the printer when the software tells you to do so.

And a special note, if you have the printer connected while trying to install the drivers it will never work properly.

Bear in mind that "disconnect" means just that...Physically remove cable from print device. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. No change so far.

I stated earlier that I "upgraded" to XP. Actually, I bought a new hard drive, loaded Win98se, then without loading anything else (including printer drivers), I immediatly upgraded to XP. Then I loaded the Canon Multipass 4.0 suite printer driver. (LPT1: not USB)

I am not having trouble getting the printer to work, it works perfectly (for the first user to log on after boot).

The problem is that I want to configure the system for two users. When I switch to the second user, the printer cannot initialize and the result is error messages and no printing. The printer is actually communicating because I can print a test page from control panel, printers as second user but... somehow the second user profile does not think it is communicating.

After boot, I can log on to either of the two users and the first user can print, switch user and the second user cannot print.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,

daldous

Try switching users with Fast User Switching. There is clearly a service component that is ending with the logoff of the first user.

There may not be a fix possible under windows. You could try sharing the printer and printing to the share to see if the spooler will hold the printer driver open for you.

Problem Solved!!

The default profile for User Switching is apparently "Fast User Switching". I turned "Fast User Switching" off and the problem disappeared. All users in any order may now use the printer.

You put me on the right track!

Thank you for your efforts!!

daldous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back