Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canon LIDE scanner downloaded driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

artworthy

Technical User
Apr 19, 2008
US
Hi.

I want to install the scanner to my new computer but lost the installation cd. i downloaded the driver from the Canon website and followed the installation instruction. Problem is after I plug in the scanner after installation, the pc found the scanner but want to install the driver again. I cannot point it any folder because the installation file is an .exe folder and don't know where those files got extracted/installed to. I tried finding them, no luck.
When I look in Device Manager, the scanner is listed but it said no driver is installed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

See if pointing to the INF folder gets the driver loaded.

I tried seaching for the INF file. None in the extracted Canon folders or elswhere that I can determin. Where would it be located?

Thanks
Artworthy

You're welcome.
Did you try installing the scanner using the Windows "Add Hardware" utility, and pointing to the INF folder when prompted for the location of the driver?

Yes, even though the (lost) instructions say not to. But no folder with correct .INF driver shows up after browsing nearly the whole c: drive. And clue on where I can find the driver -- it definitely loaded somewhere?

thanks again

Technically speaking after you run the installation it should autodetect the scanner and do everything it needs to without asking you for anything. Can you tell us the exact model of scanner?

When it asks you to install it can you tell to find the best driver for it so it does it alone. I'm not sure of the wording but there should be adoption to tell it ti search for the best driver for your hardware alone.

Also what Operating system are you using?

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

It is the Canonscan LIDE 90 on XP Pro. (I've been loading drivers since DOS days, btw) No auto detect as should be the drill. So...I downloaded the LIDE 30 driver and it installed and worked perfectly. I guessed it might be compatible and it was. Canon should add this to their FAQ's...but probably won't cuz it's dicont'd equipt. Easier on their part to just let the user think they're screwing up than fixing old drivers.

But thanks again for you replies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back