Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot view other computers from network

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvtohurt

IS-IT--Management
Sep 24, 2001
US
I have active directory set up and I cannot see any other computer using network neighborhood from any computer.
I have enable sharing and shared some folders but they are not visible from any workstations or servers.

There are no group policies applied.

How do I see my shares from other computers.

Any help appreciated.
Rob.

Have you tried setting up NetBEUI? Can you access the shares using explorer and the UNC name (ie.. \\pc1 or \\192.168.1.1)? James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Are you logging on to a Domain or Workgroup?
Can you ping any of the other computers?
Can you search for them and find them by name or IP?
Do you have DHCP and DNS setup correctly?

We have this problem as well. We can do a search for the computer and access it that way. Sometimes we have access to the network neighborhood through local machines, and sometimes not. It fluctuates. Any feedback on this would greatly help!

All my computers are in a Domain.
I can ping all computers by their name and DNS is set up correctly.
I just can't see any other computer through explorer.
I have given permission to the shares to everyone.
I can search them by UNC name.
still nothing visible in explorer or network neighborhood.

I guess I'll try to modify the registry entry.
or check my Netbeui settings and let you all know.

Rob.

Also,
Check on the desktops network cards, I have had this happen.
On the card, check the WINS settings, check to see if "Enable LM Hosts is checked, if not, check it and also check the "Use Netbios settings from the server" button.
Even though I don't have WINS setup on this network, once I un-checked those options, all the computers on my network disappeard also. So give that a go.

Thank you all for helping.
The problem was that my Netbios was disable.
All I had to do was to Enable Netbios over TCP/IP on the NIC property page on the WIN tab.

That was a dumb one.

Thanks.
Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back