Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot view or edit network connection properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalyko

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
US
All of a sudden, I'm not able to view the properties for my Local Area Connection or 1394 Connection. I get the message "You do not have sufficient privileges for accessing connection properties. Contact your administrator." I've logged in as both Administrator and as an administrator user and received the same response on both. I've removed spyware, tried to access through Safe Mode w/ Network Support, and uninstalled/reinstalled both adapters, but still the same result. I'm using WinXP Pro SP2.

I just tried it, but it still doesn't work. Do you have any more suggestions? This is really frustrating.

Click Start, Run and enter GPEDIT.MSC Go to:

User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, Network Connections. In the right pane check if any restrictions are set to prohibit access to connection properties (the default for all items is "Not configured").

Double click the offending entry and set it to Not Configured. If its already set at Not Configured, set it to Disabled, apply the change. Then change it back to Not Configured.

Also check Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, Network Connections.

Thanks, but still nothing. Still open to more suggestions.

Can you create any/all types of new connections with the Connection wizard?

Yes I can create all types of connections. Also, I even tried installing a brand new wireless adapter, but still cannot access the network properties.

Have you tried a restore point from before the problem started? Might be corrupted registry.

BYGEEK: I'm not sure when this started, but I tried to restore to about a month ago, but it didn't work.

TECKYSTUFF: I tried using the netsh command, but it says "Could not obtain host information from machine: [COMPUTER NAME]. Some commands may not be available. Access denied."

Anything else? I appreciated your responses.

I know you said you tried with the Admin account and another that has Admin rights but have you tried creating a brand new user, adding it to the admin group and then trying to edit TCP/IP settings. I'm just thinking maybe your current profiles have become corrupted some how. Its a long shot but I think you are ready to try just about anything to get this working - it sure is a weird problem.

TECKYSTUFF: I've tried creating two additional admin accounts....same thing! FRUSTRATING!!

Okaayyyy
And you definately not running any group policy applied to this computer. Is is part of a domain?

You could try and re-install the service pack. Again long but worth while shot

Can you BTW edit Local Area Connections settings in the Firewall? Look in the advanced tab of the Windows Firewall settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back