Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot View Network Neighborhood Properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2001
US
I have a user with Windows 98 whose Network Neighborhood Properties cannot be accessed. If you right click the Network Neighborhood icon on the desktop, when you click Properties nothing happens, if you right click Network Neighborhood in Windows Explorer the same thing happens, and the Network icon is completely missing from the Control Panel. This user has a network card and is able to browse the network without a problem but we need to make a change to his TCP/IP settings and we cannot do that without getting to the Network Properties. Any ideas? Thanks.

This sounds like a company computer that has the controls disabled to keep people from screwing with it. If so you will have to go into the registry to fix it...

Yes, it is a company computer but I am the Network Administrator and I know we do not employ any policies or lockdowns. Thanks.

How can I tell if it is installed if I can't get into the Properties of Network Neighborhood? Thanks.

Try uninstlling and reinstlling the network card drivers. Just remove it from the device manager list then restart. Make sure you have the drivers to reinstall first.

Try this, in control panel>add/remove programs>win setup>communications..uncheck everything to remove from system, reboot and then reinstall needed systems by rechecking and rebooting, it may need the install disk so if you don't have it????

Thanks for these suggestions. This PC is actually in one of our remote offices and the IT guy is gone for the day and I'll be out tomorrow so I'll have him try this on Monday and let you guys know. Thanks :)

Hchman..that's where Dial Up Networking is install from in the first place and if it's screwed up uninstall it and reinstall, might not fix it but it won't hurt it either..

Hi. I actually visited the site yesterday. I tried removing the network card from the Device Manager and I received the following error: "Setup cannot load the installer netdi.dll for the network hardware being installed."

The machine is a laptop and the network card is integrated in the docking station so I cannot even physically remove the card. Are we all stumped now? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back