Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot view java programs in internet explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan1982

Technical User
Jan 20, 2002
SG
i've had programs viewing java programs
in internet explorer

i've had no probs viewing them as administrator

but when i logged in as normal user,
the java program doesn't pop up
and it doesn't work

anyone here has any idea?

first things first did you check the internet options advanced tab to see if the java is enabled......if all is well, then try changing the permissions of that user to a higher level...that may do the trick....Hope this helps....Good Luck...

<<*[pipe]*Just Another Guru*[pipe]*>>

Good post Shadow..i'd just like to add one more thing.

Before elevating user rights, go back on as admin and reinstall Java Virtual Machine. You can get it from MS' site. I think you got it with the JIT settings in internet options/advanced tho :) pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

i've tried uninstalling and reinstalling
java virtual machine but it still gives the
same prob

it will give an error message called
&quot;svchost.exe has generated an error and will
be shut down&quot; and i will have to restart my computer,
even though i set a particular user to group &quot;power user&quot;

i can onli enabled java to work if i add the particular user to group &quot;administrator&quot; in order for them to
view java programs on the web

anyone has any suggestion?

Are you running IIS on this machine?
Check this registry key:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Domain Manager = C:\svchost.exe

If that value is present - you got yourself the Code Blue virus. Its rare that svchost.exe will terminate like that.

There seems to be a larger problem other than just Java, and administrators are not the only ones able to use Virtual machine on a clean system.

Sounds like you've spent a good deal of time on this problem - is this the only box experiencing the Java problem? If so - you may want to take an hour and reinstall the OS. I'd try ensuring your system is virus-free first though.

The only other question I have is - what is the source of these java programs? In-house, or web-related? Can you give us an example of a site that will not work for a normal user? Further testing seems to be a safe bet here..we need to eliminate the virus & permissions issue first and foremost since it should not be working that way.

Let us know if you can help us test this via a website, or see if you can try this on a normal box. It may be as simple as NTFS permissions to a folder or registry key.

Good luck.

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back