Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot view attachments send from outlook to outlook express

Status
Not open for further replies.

naserb

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
CA
We have E2k server and outlook express in workstations.If any body send us attachments through his outlook we cannot see the attachments on our outlook express. But we can see the attachments send to us through hotmail or any other mail except from outlook.

Also keep in mind that files are not "downloaded" until you doubl-click on them.

BUT! If you're using a normal POP3 account your attachments will download to your computer when you get your messages, unless OE has some really odd special settings.

Have you tried having Excel open the file?

It might be due to that the email header information is wrong or missing for proper decoding of the attachment.

To fix it, you can try the following solution.

Save the attachment in local drive (e.g. D:\data)

Rename the file extension as *.uue. (e.g. filename.uue)

Open filename.uue with winzip

Extract the encoded file UNKNOWN.001 to the local drive (e.g. D:\data).

Rename UNKNOWN.001 using appropriate file extension according to the file format (e.g. UNKNOWN.doc for Word document) to get the decoded file. (Similarly, you will need to rename the file extension as ppt, xls, pdf...etc as appropriate)

Attachments are divided into three groups based on their file name extension, or type. Outlook handles each group in a specific way.
Level 1 ("Unsafe")
The "unsafe" category represents any extension that may have script or code associated with it. You cannot open any attachment with an "unsafe" extension if you use a version of Outlook that has the security patch applied to it. The following list contains attachments that are considered unsafe:

Extension File type
---------------------------------------------------
.ade Microsoft Access project extension
.adp Microsoft Access project
.asx Windows Media Audio / Video
.bas Microsoft Visual Basic class module
.bat Batch file
.chm Compiled HTML Help file
.cmd Microsoft Windows NT Command script
.com Microsoft MS-DOS program
.cpl Control Panel extension
.crt Security certificate
.exe Program
.hlp Help file
.hta HTML program
.inf Setup Information
.ins Internet Naming Service
.isp Internet Communication settings
.js JScript file
.jse Jscript Encoded Script file
.lnk Shortcut
.mda Microsoft Access add-in program
.mdb Microsoft Access program
.mde Microsoft Access MDE database
.mdt Microsoft Access workgroup information
.mdw Microsoft Access workgroup information
.mdz Microsoft Access wizard program
.msc Microsoft Common Console document
.msi Microsoft Windows Installer package
.msp Microsoft Windows Installer patch
.mst Microsoft Windows Installer transform; Microsoft Visual Test source file
.ops Office XP settings
.pcd Photo CD image; Microsoft Visual compiled script
.pif Shortcut to MS-DOS program
.prf Microsoft Outlook profile settings
.reg Registration entries
.scf Windows Explorer command
.scr Screen saver
.sct Windows Script Component
.shb Shell Scrap object
.shs Shell Scrap object
.url Internet shortcut
.vb VBScript file
.vbe VBScript Encoded script file
.vbs VBScript file
.wsc Windows Script Component
.wsf Windows Script file
.wsh Windows Script Host Settings file

The following list describes how Outlook functions when you receive or send an "unsafe" file attachment:
Any "unsafe" attachment is not accessible. You cannot save, delete, open, print, or otherwise work with "unsafe" files. The top of the e-mail message indicates that Outlook has blocked access to the "unsafe" attachment. The attachment is not accessible from Outlook; however, the attachment is not actually removed from the e-mail message.
If you forward an e-mail message with an "unsafe" attachment, the attachment is not included in the forwarded e-mail message.
If you send an e-mail message that contains an "unsafe" attachment, you receive a warning message that says other Outlook recipients may not be able to access the attachment that you are trying to send. You can either ignore the warning message and send the e-mail message, or you can choose to not send the e-mail message.
If you save or close an e-mail message that contains an "unsafe" attachment, you receive a warning message that says you will not be able to open the attachment in Outlook. You can override the warning message and save the e-mail message.
You cannot open objects that are inserted into Microsoft Outlook Rich Text messages by using the Insert Object command. You do see a visual representation of the object, but you cannot open or activate the object in the e-mail message.
You cannot open "unsafe" files that have been directly stored in an Outlook or Exchange folder. Although these files are not attached to an Outlook item, they are still considered "unsafe." The following error message occurs in this situation:

Can't open the item. Outlook blocked access to this potentially unsafe item.
Level 2
Level 2 files are not "unsafe" but they do require more security than other attachments. When you receive a Level 2 attachment, you are prompted to save the attachment to a disk; you cannot open the attachment in the e-mail message. By default, extensions are not associated with this group; however, you can add extensions to the Level 2 list.

NOTE: You can only change the list of files that are included in the Level 2 category if you are using Outlook in an Exchange environment and your mail is being delivered to an Exchange mailbox. An administrator must make these changes.
When you try to open an attachment other than those in the "unsafe" or Level 2 lists, you are prompted to either open the file directly or to save it to a disk. You can turn off future prompts for that extension if you click to clear the Always ask before opening this type of file check box.

NOTE: If a program associates itself with a new extension, that extension is treated as an "other" attachment until you add the extension to the "unsafe" list. For example, if you install a program on your computer that uses files with an .xyz extension, whenever you open an attachment that has an .xyz extension, the new program opens and runs the attachment. By default, the .xyz extension is not on the "unsafe" or Level 2 list, so it is treated as an "other" extension. If you want attachments with the .xyz extension to be treated as "unsafe," you must add the .xyz extension to the list of "unsafe" extensions.
For additional information about the "Level1Add" registry key, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
312834 OL2002: The "Level1Add" Registry Key Is Missing from Outlook 2002

Restoring the Attachment Open/Save Dialogue Box?:
Go to Start
Settings
Folder Options
Click the "File Types" tab.
In the "Registered file types" list box, select the file type for which to enable the prompt.
Click "Edit...". (The "Edit File Type" dialog box appears.)
Select the "Confirm open after download" check box and click "OK".
Click "OK".

I'm also curious about this thread becuase I too have a situation where an MS Outlook(2K) user sent email to multiple receipients and the ones using OExpress 6 did not receive the attachment. Don't think it's a size issue as the attachment was a single snapshot of data and registered at less than 70Kb.

Golfman1

I have save problem. I've noticed that if I use Send to Mail recipent (as attachment) in Word /excel the attachment is displayed in Outlook Express. But if I use the "insert file" in the mail, OE 5 and OE6 cannot view the attachment sent from Outlook 2000.

Has this issue been resolved? I'm just curious because I have Outlook 2000 and frequently send attachments to an OE6 user with no problems. For what it's worth, the OE6 user is on a different domain. I don't recall if this thread mentioned whether or not the users were on the same domain or not.

RE: Cant view attachments in oe6 from outlook,

I also was not able to view any of my attachments thru OE6. When I viewed them all I could see was computer jibberish. I did the following which was posted here, and it works, a special thank you to compgirlfhredi, I wish I had visited here earlier, probably deleted some real good emails....

compgirlfhredi (TechnicalUser) Sep 29, 2003
It might be due to that the email header information is wrong or missing for proper decoding of the attachment.

To fix it, you can try the following solution.

Save the attachment in local drive (e.g. D:\data)

Rename the file extension as *.uue. (e.g. filename.uue)

Open filename.uue with winzip

Extract the encoded file UNKNOWN.001 to the local drive (e.g. D:\data).

Rename UNKNOWN.001 using appropriate file extension according to the file format (e.g. UNKNOWN.doc for Word document) to get the decoded file. (Similarly, you will need to rename the file extension as ppt, xls, pdf...etc as appropriate)

Just to clarify. The problem that several of us have been describing does not indicate that an attachment exists (no icon and the File|Save Attachment option is stippled). So any solution requiring saving the attachment or opening it using another method is not workable. The "stripped" attachments in OE6 is a security problem and is discussed in several other threads.

To respond to the question about the domain, in all cases I know of the OE user is on a separate domain from the MSO sender.

Size is not the issue because the same problem occurs with a 20kB attachment as a 1MB attachment.

Now to add insult to injury I have tested this further and found that the guy next to me does not have this problem. He can send from MSO to my home email address and I get the attachment without a problem. That suggests that the source of the problem is the source of the emails. This sounds like a typical MS glitch. No explanation, no solution, and 3/4 of the IT experts don't believe you. :) I'm giving up hope of solving it but I'll keep an eye out for a silver bullet.

Found a fix finally, after about 2 hours of pulling whats left of my hair out I started out like a true tech.....testing....different addresses, different smtp servers.....using cc instead of to....doing the send to>mail recipient thingy......and finally that worked, the send to>mail recipient thingy. When I sent email that way I found that the attachments came through in OE and Outlook. Im using Outlook 2003 btw. So I started looking for what is exactly different between sending an email with attachments from directly inside Outlook and using the send to feature. Came upon one notable difference. Sending to OE6 btw. When using send to, the message deafulted to "Plain Text" format, but when sending from inside Outlook it defaulted to "HTML". So being the dumbass tech that I want to be I changed the Outlook settings to send the email from directly inside using a "Plain Text" format. Guess what???? Yup worked every time. Tested from Outlook to OE6, and from Outlook to Outlook. The only thing that wont work is when I'm trying to forward attachments that were sent to me without saving them first, the attachments still wont be "seen" by OE user. The message size that OE sees is exactly what it should be if there were an attachment; ex. sending a 30k file the OE user will see that the size of his email is 40k or so, but there will be no attachment, no paperclip, no nothing. Which was the problem I was having before I changed the Outlook send format to Plain Text. Hope this helps. BTW I just wanted to take this time to say how truly helpful this board has been. Onsite cant figure it out, going on my fourth hour at said clients location and just about to say f-it and buy him a new computer just to get out of there, always log onto tek-tips and find most of the solutions that I need. Someday I'll just log on here first.

"Either get behind our troops or get in front of them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back