Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot view attachments send from outlook to outlook express

Status
Not open for further replies.

naserb

Technical User
Apr 16, 2003
CA
We have E2k server and outlook express in workstations.If any body send us attachments through his outlook we cannot see the attachments on our outlook express. But we can see the attachments send to us through hotmail or any other mail except from outlook.

It could be possible that you have your Outlook Express Settings blocking any harmful files sent as attachments.

Howdy:

Take a look here..

Start OE.. Now, go to Tools>Options>Security..

Uncheck "Do Not Allow Attachments, etc.." Apply and okay out.

Murray

First of all thank you for your response.
1- In our outlook express I cannot receive an attachment
if this attachment is sent from outlook.But the same attachment if sent from another mail such as hotmail then we can see it.(The same attachment).
2- I unchecked " Do Not Allow Attachments,...", but still the same problem.

Regards

If you send from Outlook to another email program other than OE, can you open the attachment??

Murray

Sent that too fast.. Also, what version of Outlook AND Outlook Express??

Murray

1- If we send from outlook to any other email program other than OE then we can see the attachment.
2- we use outlook 2000 and OE6 and E2K server

In what format is Outlook sending - RTF? If so, change Outlook to send in HTML.

I changed the format in outlook to html but the same problem still exist.I also tried the plain text format but the problem still.

naserb... I'm having the same problem. User is using Outlook 2000 to send email and attachments to two other users that are using Outlook Express 6 and attachments are removed. I have tested by sending an attachment to the two users and they can receive it just fine, I'm on Outlook 2002. I had the user with Outlook 2000 send me the same email and I can receive the attachment just fine too. Anyone have any new info regarding this problem? Thanks.

I have the same problem. Our company uses NT as an OS with Outlook 2000 for email. We cannot send email attachments to anyone using Outlook Express, any version. On the receiving end the email size indicates that there is an attachment but none can be found. I have checked with several users sending to several users and the problem is consistent across the board. We can, however send and receive attachments to other Outlook users. I have tried changing from RTF format to HTML and there is no improvement. Still clueless.

naserb, try sending the e-mail w/ attachment by adding the recipient's address under CC: instead of To:

JP

I have a similar problem, we use NT4 with Exchange 5.5. If I send a safe attachment from OExpress(all versions) to OExpress, no attachment. I can send from outside our domain via Hotmail, etc and the attachment is there. I can send an attachment outside our domain and the message is there. OExpress to Outlook works fine also. Outlook to Outlook works fine. It started around 8/22, best guess. Any help would be greatly appretiated.

Regards,
Joe

Just reviewing this thread because I have a user with the same problem of Outlook to OE. The OE users do not see the attachment although the file size of the email indicates that the file is there somewhere.
Anybody got a result on this?

OE\Tools\Options\Security\see if you are using 'Restricted' zone....if you are and (I prefer) you can customize this Restricted setting in IE.

Are the persons that are sending from Outlook sending the attachment to a contact or to someone off of a global address list?

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Outlook 2000/XP Restricted Filetypes
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Outlook\Security\Level1Remove
It is possible to add Filetypes back into the OK zone. This will allow you to open these attachments from Outlook (they won’t be blocked).This key lists all of the file extensions that will be blocked by Outlook. You can edit this key to either remove extensions that you want access to or add extensions that you want to block.

in my users case three contacts were the recipient of the mail with an excel file attached (large 3.5mbps)from the outlook user. one receipient was using Outlook - no problem. The other two use OE -problem They usually receive email attachments okay but in their case the email file size indicated that they had indeed downloaded the file but there was no separate icon or identity for it. Is it a size issue with OE?

Size issue--would depend on the ISP, mostly, I think. Or an 'older' system. As most files are limited to 1-2 mb as anything over can 'hang' or 'lock'. Keep in mind that an 500kb can take up to 2 minutes to download.

As for my above post, don't think that is your problem, you stated that there is no 'icon' or separate identity for it?

The file WAS saved to disk, right? and then tried to open in Excel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back