Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot use second hard drive in Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

web3trainer

Instructor
Nov 18, 2003
US
I have a Dell Poweredge that I need to put 2 Diamond 120 GB drives into for mirroring or duplexing.

I have tried every configuration / combination Master / Slave, seperate controlers, cable select, ect. BIOS sees them both every time (even upgraded to latest BIOS version). Windows 2000 however is a diffrent story, in Device Manager it shows the second drive with a bang and it says:

This device cannot work properly until you restart your computer. (Code 14)

The Microsoft resolution is to do a cold boot which has no effect (cold/warm reboot error remains).

The only issue I can think could have a possible effect is the fact that these are ATA-133 drives and the motherboard maxes at ATA-100; but since the drives should be backward compatible (and one drive is running the operating system already) I just do not think that is it.

Ideas?

We gave up and went with smaller drives (40GB) which worked out fine on the first try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back