Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot upgrade 95 to 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

jascra

Programmer
Jul 9, 2002
I have an IBM thinkpad which was installed with windows 95. I bought a new OEM Full Windows 98. I tried to upgrade the 95 to 98, but my laptop is telling me that I cannot upgrade using this copy, and that I need an upgrade. I was under the impression that the full version of windows 98 can be used to upgrade from 95( the documentation even says so). What am I doing wrong??

Thanks

Perhaps someone else will have a more definitive answer, but here are my two cents worth. Its worth everything you paid for it.

Check your documentation. I think that I recall using a /U switch to tell the Full Install CD to perform an upgrade.

However. if my recollection is not accurate you can do the following. Assuming that you can boot to a boot-up floppy and retain CD support, you can rename the existing C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM file to something else prior to attempting the installation. After renaming the file run SETUP on the CD to launch the installation.

When the Full Install CD looks at the PC it is looking for the existance (or absence) of the WIN.COM file to tell it if a previous version of Windows exists. If it finds it, it will complain that it cannot work. Renaming the WIN.COM file will "fool" the CD installation program and allow it to proceed with the Full Installation.

Good Luck,
jrbbldr

HELP!!!!!!!!!! I did as you said, and I renamed the win.com, and then it did not see it, so it installed win 98.....BUT....it kept my old win 95 directory(and everything else which is good) and installed win 98 in a directory called Windows.000. It did not recongnize my display adapter, but not only that, when I try to get online, to download it, it tells me that I do not have enough memory to load internet explorer. I have 128 ram, and no other programs open. How can I get the computer to go back to win 95(not by reloading it, but by looking at the old win 95 directory? I am so sorry now that I tried to upgrade!!!

Unless you have anything you want on that computer your best bet is to first download on another computer all the IBM Thinkpad files. they are under a matrix for thinkpads and your model number. Then do a clean install and after it is finished, load the new drivers onto the laptop. That is the trickiest part, Its a pain using a floppy. A CD burner is best if the laptop will recognize the burned CD. A third resort is networking them together. I just loaded a TP 600E this way today and it is really the easiest way.

I think I am going to try that tomorrow...I spent all day today trying to get the laptop to work. I got the memory error in IE to go away by renaming my Program Files directory to something else, but my drivers are all bad, including my combo ethernet/modem driver, so I cant go online and download. I did copy the network driver from IBM onto a zip which I was able to install, but I was not able to get the laptop to use the driver. It also keeps giving me 2 Standard Bus Mastering IDE Hard Disk Controller and 1(with a yellow !) Intel 82371AB/EB Bus Master IDE Controller. Wow, what a pain!!

Thanks for the advice

JASCRA
I think your problem is that you installed the Win 98 to a new directory named: windows.000. If when you install the new version set up finds an existing dir it will create this one. Therefore creating a further copy and ignoring your original files.
This should have been to your original windows directory which you can point it to during setup.

Sorry if it too late

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back