Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot uninstall programs ... Missing file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eichele2000

Technical User
Apr 14, 2003
US
Hi, I've downloaded several different bingo programs on to my computer. Now that I'm passing it down to my son, I decided to remove all these programs. If I knew for sure I had the right discs, I'd just reformat it but I have no clue what I need. A computer shop installed a new motherboard and said the discs I had would be of no use and kept them.

When I go to add/remover programs to do uninstalls I get 1 of the the following messages:

1. An installation support file could not be installed. The system cannot find the file specified.

-or-

2. Could not open install.log file.

Can I just download a certain file to fix this, or is it possible to reformat this computer? Any information and/or help would be greatly appreciated.

Eichele2000

Check in C:\Program Files and see if the programs are still there or they might be in C:\ if they are still there then you can just delete them but they will still show up on your add/remove menu. If they aren't there then you are all set.

There would be some doubt about what has ben deleted and what hasn't if you are getting funny messages.When the Computer store installed a new motherboard, they should have supplied a disc with drivers for on-board sound, video, and modem together with a book of settings. The discs you may need in addition to that are the discs for the software which would all have to be reloaded after formatting. Formatting will erase the whole disc not just the bits you want to uninstall.The only other disc you would need would be a Boot disc which is a floppy disc which you make yourself using Control Panel/Add Remove programs/Boot disc assuming you are using Win98 or ME

I did find them under C:\Program files and deleted them. I hope this cured the problem. Thanks Tucker

And thanks david for the info. I now know that I'd have to have the ME disc to to the install which I don't. I'm sure the disc they gave me was nothing but the drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back