Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot uninstall McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

csone

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2008
US
I have network enforced McAfee Total Protection that will not update on a client PC. This prevents the client from accessing the internet. I tried to uninstall/reinstall McAfee but it will not uninstall. The uninstall program runs but McAfee is still in my programs list and it still runs in the sys tray. I tried ending all the McAfee processes and stopping the services but it still will not uninstall. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Which product are you using?

Is it Total Protection for small business?

Do you manage your clients from a web based security centre (usually the security centre URL is at
If you do...then once you are logged in to your security centre, on the blue bar across the top select HELP, then select UTILITIES

You will have to download a utility call MVSUNINST (i think it is option 3 on the list)

Run this utility on the machine which will remove the product and then reboot the machine when prompted...the product should have been uninstalled when the machine boots up.

Then try and reinstall the product....

Does this work?

McAfeeGeek

The product is Total Protection for Small Business. I do not believe we have a web based security center. The McAfee is through our Sonicwall Firewall.

OK

If your product is definately Total Protection for Small Business then you should be able to manage this product from a web based security centre.

To confirm this, if you right click on the McAfee Icon in the right hand corner system tray and select About, you should see a product version number (this could either be 4.5 or 4.7). This will confirm that you are using the Total Protection product.

If the above is true and you are using 4.5 or 4.7 then you should have access to a web based security centre at where you can manage your product.

It may be that you have not been provided the information about the security centre before and therefore you do not have any credentials.

Contact McAfee coorporate technical support and discuss this with them and you should be able to obtain details for your entitlement from them.

I believe they can still be reached on 00800 12255624

Let me know how you get on

McAfeeGeek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back