Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot uninstall 6.0, repair or upgrade voicemail !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaze

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2006
CA
One of my server got a virus and deleted some files in the vm pro directory, voicemail was still working after i removed the virus but the client wasn't launching...
Now i am trying to upgraded to 7.0 and it tells me the old version cannot be removed, tried to repair the old version tells me i am missing the .msi wich i am not, tried to remove completly the old version it tells me i can't and to contact my support group (funny, i tried to delete completly the vm pro directory and delete the orphan regestry links but when i launch 7.0 it still tells me it's an upgrade and won't let me go through with it !!!

HELP !!!

:)

Yaze.
Chaos, Panic and Disorder, my work here is done.

Make a backup and be sure that those files are not infected.
Then reinstall the OS and start all over again.
You will be much quicker.
I suggest that you use the Linux apps instead of the Windows version.
It solves your Virus issues too :)

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Reinstalling os isn't an option it resides on the only windows server 2008 of a company with active directory, dhcp, vpn, file and print server, etc... It was virus free untill one of the associates tried to install a screen saver from a usb key, good thing i told them not to touch the server in any way...
Anyway what's done, it's done, i'm down to deleting manually everything in the registry, or try to install version 5.0 and see if it goes through then upgrade to 7...

Yaze.

Deleted the keys i could find in the registry, installing voicemail pro 7 as we speak... God bless regedit !! :)

Yaze.

Reinstalling os isn't an option it resides on the only windows server 2008 of a company with active directory, dhcp, vpn, file and print server

Are you nuts? :)
I rather use a desktop for VMPro then a server like this!!!

BAZINGA!

Nuts is an understatement!

if this pc if the customers main server and has already had a virus infection I would suggest your customer has bigger things to worry about than just VM.

get a dedicated PC for the VM Pro & install the Linux version before they cause you any more trouble.

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

Customer is a cheapo gonzalo doesn't want a new machine since this one was working fine untill the 'Where can i stuck my usb infected key' incident... Viruses are complely gone, he got the bill for that, and now everything is back the way it was exept all upgraded to 7...
Now he agreed not to touch the server again, but just in case i changed the password and told the it guy there not to give it back again in anycase to him ! :)

Got to love thoose clients...

Yaze.

You get payed but i still would insist on a separate system.
I have seen many strange issues with vmpro when it is installed on a domain controller, exchange server or anything else like that.

BAZINGA!

tlpeter i did insist listing all the pros (none) and cons, but since the system was like that and working before i came into the picture he doesn't want to hear anything...
I even proposed a little linux box all mounted and ready to go for 300$ and he just said: "Do you know how many beers 300$ is ?"
So i gave up, going with what the customer wants anyways since he pays my bills :p

Yaze.

If they refuse then you cannot do anything :)
But the argument "it did work" can being thrown in the garbage bin.
It did not work anymore :)

BAZINGA!

I hope the screensaver was worth it... 1990 called and they want their Flying Toasters screensaver back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back