Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot telnet to remote router

Status
Not open for further replies.

leddy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 28, 2001
GB
I have a remote cisco router that I cannot telnet

If I telnet to my router then I can telnet to the remote router OK

I can also ping the remoter router OK from the my router

But cannot ping form any PC/Server

Leddy

It sounds like a routing problem, since once you telnet into your router you can get to the other, but if you can't ping, and there are no access lists blocking ICMP on the rmote router, then there might be a problem with the routing to that remote router. If you do a trace route where does it die at? Also, have you been able to ping that router in the past, or do you have an access-list that is blocking ICMP messages? Let us know....

burke

Did open a telnet access? i.e
line vty 0 4
login
password ????

Check the default gateway setting on your pc/server and verify that it is pointing to the local router

Dear All

May thanks for the notes above

I have done all the above and still the same

I have add a route to the Server pointing to this remore router

Leddy

Ensure the distant router has an IP route (if applicable) back to the connection port (IP) of your local router.

PC 189.0.0.0 Local Router 188.0.0.0 Distant Router 165.0.0.0

Ip route 189.0.0.0 subnet mask.... Then the port that comes back S0 or S1/0 etc.

Just an example

any documentation link for "Ip-helper address"??
thx in advance.

You have multiple possible issues here. First off - are there any access lists defined on this router? If so, are you sure they are configured correctly to allow the desired traffic?

Second, like everyone has mentioned you have a possible routing issue. When you can't ping, are you trying every interface on the router or one in particular? If you are only trying one, what happens when you try some of the others? Are all of the networks part of the same major IP network or are you using multiple subnet ranges? What are you using for routing i.e. RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, static routes, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back