Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot telnet to Port 110 on Freebsd 4.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shecky919

MIS
Jul 1, 2003
US
I have set up a qmail server on my Freebsd machine, and can send through it fine. If I telnet to port 25 for smtp, it works properly, but when I try to telnet into 110 because the server automatically kicks me out. I am behind a linksys and this is happening from my other machiens on the same network behind the linksys also, so its not a NAT issue. Any help would be apreciated.

Just a couple questions..

Why are you trying to telnet in?

Is the Qmail daemon running?

Do you have TCP wrappers running on this port?

I'm trying to Telnet because using a POP Client, it is not connecting. Yes the Qmail Daemon is running. I never set any TCP Wrappers on the port, should I and how do I?

Did you install a pop3 client such as qpopper and set it up to run in inetd.conf?

Good luck,

FredUG

use command
#netstat -an | grep 110

is port 110 listed there?

-anand

Then unless your firewall is blocking you, you should be able to 'telnet <IP> 110' if not try re-installing the popper.

Good luck,

FredUG

Thanks for everyones Help, But I finnaly figured out the problem.

Pop was enabled in inetd. Once I remed out the pop statement, everything started working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back