Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot stop a job or delete the job. arcserve 6.5...help 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I try to stop a job and it just sets idle will not stop. I cannot delete the job also. arcserve 6.5

I've had this myself - it sometimes means that the database has got itself confused! I have found that stopping the engines (database and/or job) will often stop the job and clear the problem.
Please let me know if this works for you.

I tried that... stopped all engines and started.....nothing.

Thanks anyother suggestions?

What does it actually say? If it just says "Stopping...." and never actually stops, even after stopping and starting the engines, I have had to reboot the server to get out of this! After getting the job finally stopped, it may well be worth checking the start of the database. If there is a corruption in there, it may be worth initialising the database.

Just an idea - check other services that are also running - I've had a couple of problems with an Arcserve job just hanging & when I've killed another process (often antivirus s/ware) Arcserve has recovered. Good luck!

It says "stopping..." for over 23 hrs.
The other job (Incremental Backup) that was to run last night cancel and hangs on recalculating session.....for 9 hrs.

Tried to stop the process in taskmanager (ASRUNJOB)
after the usual warnings inwhich I click OK to I get the
access denied diaglog box. ???? The user ID I logged on is a member of the local admin group on the Machine.
I am thinking if a reinstall of arcserve.

Don't think you need a reinstall for this - and besides, I don't think it will make any difference to this problem.
Try the database initialise - it sound as if there may be some corruption there.

You need to use taskmanager to stop ASrunjob. If you get access denied, use the following tip from MCSEguide.com:

Start Apps with the AT scheduler to run in the local system account. This has full rights to do anything like kill those nasty processes that tell you access is denied or edit security keys in the registry.
First make sure that the scheduler(task scheduler) service is running. Open a command prompt and type "AT". This will display any tasks that are already scheduled, if any.
To schedule Task Manager to run, type the following command:
at 14:30 /interactive taskmgr.exe
This will start Task Manager at 2:30PM. The interactive is necessary or the job will run in the background and you will not see it. You can schedule it for one minute from the current time so it will kick off and be available for you to use.

Your alternative is to reboot the system to stop the process but that is not always an alternative.
for all your Certification Needs.

I was able to stop the job by stopping the process ASrunjob.
so I reschedule the job to run and it got hang again at recalulating session so I stopped it ....hung on stopping.... help

To remove a job that doesn't want to go away, exit from ArcServe manager and go to your Arcserve directory and then the *.qsd directory. (In my case it's C:\ARVSERVER\00000001.QSD) and remove the *.qsd files. The file names correspond to the job number, so you can just delete the one that corresponds to the hung job. Generally, it's not necessary to stop any of the engines when doing this.

When you run the manager again, your job should be gone. If it's a scheduled job, don't forget to re-add it.

Thank You Canadianweasel, your tip did the trick for stopping/deleting my job from hell that would not stop or let me delete it. I deleted the *.job file associated with the messed up job, that way I was able to keep the jobs that were functioning properly. You might want to edit that in your post to prevent people from deleting all of their job! Thanks Again

Canadianweasel, You da man! I gave ya a star for this one.

Thanks cannadianweasel! it did it for me on arcserve 2000 AE version7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back