Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot start Ubuntu 8.04...what am I doing wrong? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Howdy,

I am finishing the build of my latest personal PC, with swappable drives for my RAID 1 (Windows XP) and third drive, which I wanted to use for different OSes. I have installed Vista to one drive, then over the weekend bought a fourth drive (36GB Raptor) to use for Ubuntu install. It is running off a SATA interface set to "Standard IDE". First time I used it it was raw, no formatting whatsoever.

I go through the install fine, Ubuntu sees the drive and I have tried virtually every partitioning configuration, all lead to the same thing: when I get to the end of the installation, when the installer prompts me to "remove the CD and reboot", I do so, pointing my BIOS boot pop-up to the Ubuntu drive, and always get the same message:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected drive and press a key"

At first I though it might have been a SATA driver issue, but I installed Win2K to the drive last night, without drivers, and it installed to the disk just fine. Remember there are no other drives in the machine during Ubuntu load; I remove all drives except the target drive to reduce the chances of an OMG.

I also let Ubuntu verify the CD, no problems. I've worked with Mandrake 9.0 a little but am basically Linux-illiterate, that's why I want to install...to learn.

Any guesses as to what I'm doing wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks as always.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Well, to answer my own question (about what I'm doing wrong) thanks to you folks and openSUSE I now know the answer is...nothing. openSUSE installed just fine, thank you, including having a workable wireless mouse & keyboard during installation, which was nothing if not uneventful. Pop the DVD in, let it do its thing, 20 minutes later I've got a working Linux install.

I'm still not giving up on Ubuntu, just taking a break from frustration. I do have a couple older versions already downloaded so I'll start there...I will not admit defeat!

Thanks to all for treating me as a peer not a peon.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Glad to hear that you got a Linux install working... Now welcome to the Linux World... ;-)

in my book, Tony you are a peer...

PS: take a look at WUBI to installing Ubuntu under Windows...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Congratulations, Glad you got things working. Now that you know that SUSE works on your system, you can pound your head trying to get Ubuntu working.

I would say you are not only a peer, but a geek as well. Welcome to the wonderful world of Unix/Linux.

One of the things I have found out is there are a number of ways to do something. If one doesn’t work, try another one.

JFYI - update on the Kernel:

Ubuntu 8.04 2.6.24
SuSE 11.0 2.6.25

means SuSE has updated drivers and or correct drivers for the JMicron controller...

Ben

Well I am having fun with the new install...even hosed it totally! Didn't think that was possible, but I was tweaking Compiz Fusion and the screen turned solid white...at least it wasn't blue with a handful of gibberish! Did the same in "Fail Safe..."

Tried repairing it, ended up just re-installing. I don't think you can learn an OS until you've installed it a few times...which I did yesterday.

I like the way you can copy-and-paste text into the console, reduces syntax errors. Generally having fun, except for no built-in spell-check in this version of Firefox, I will try others. That, and I need to get used to all these silly names with odd capitalizations, like YaST. All-in-all it has been a pleasurable experience so far. I'm sure I'll be back with more ???...[smile]

BTW I did try an older version of Ubuntu I had laying around, 7.0x. It did not make it past the partitioner, so I'll be waiting for the next release.

Tony

Users helping Users...

the screen turned solid white...
at the boot screen type: init 3
this will take you into the console (no X windows) there you can run sax2 to readjust the X windows screen to what it should be... and if that does not work then reinstall it...

at least it wasn't blue with a handful of gibberish!
ROFL... even starting to sound like linuxian, there...

I don't think you can learn an OS until you've installed it a few times...
probably wont be your last either...

I like the way you can copy-and-paste text into the console, reduces syntax errors.
ought to try the TAB, when you type in the console, e.g. you type: cd /h+TAB and the console magically does: cd /home ... etc... PS: in Windows you can copy & paste aswell...

That, and I need to get used to all these silly names with odd capitalizations, like YaST.
remember, and keep in the back of the mind, Linux is case sensitive...

All-in-all it has been a pleasurable experience so far.
oh, it is, but there will be days when you will swear at the box... at least these have become less and less likely, due to better driver support and install procedures, I remember trying to install an ATI driver years ago what a pain trying to configure it (SuSE 9.0), these days it's a breeze, gui driven...

but formost, ENJOY the learning process there Tony...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back