Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cannot start microsoft outlook after mailbox move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazierr

MIS
Jun 23, 2004
US
Have primary exchange server 2003 on server "Kumu". Have installed second server "Huli" with exchange server 2003, added service packs to windows server 2003 standard and exchange server 2003. Am running Native mode on exchange.
Intent is to move all users to new server, leave it as exclusive exchange server. Kumu also hosts IIS and some other things besides being a BDC.

I can see both servers in the Exhange administration view.
Select a mailbox, exchange tasks, move mailbox, successful with no errors with move.

User logs in, tries to open Outlook and gets message: "Cannot start microsoft outlook. Unable to open the outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened."

Can ping both Huli and Kumu from workstation. (happens on different workstations as well) Opening Control panel, mail, modify existing profile and can see fully qualified path for huli.localname.ourdomain.com
If delete profile, can create a new one, using huli as the server name (need not be FQDN) and entering the username and check name results in it finding correct account. If I enter kumu as servername, after check name, it shows FQDN for huli as the exchange server for that user. Still gets same error message.

I've tried moving three different users, all with the same problem. In any of the test cases, moving them back to Kumu results in being able to access the mailbox (after delete and create mail profile).

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this because I probably forget something simple during the setup of the new server. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Thanks
--Rick

No, user cannot log in via OWA.
ourdomain.com/exchange is where we normally access OWA.
From user workstation, I can go there and see my mailbox after etering userid and password. A user with a moved mailbox, using same url gets a "page not found" message after they enter their userid and password..

Thanks
--Rick

Looking at AD users and groups from Kumu, the current exchange server which is also a BDC, I can see the 4 tabs for exchange, and all information seems to be the same as a non-moved mailbox, except the general tab does show the new server as hosting the mailbox store.
For moved user, it shows HULI/First Storage Group/Mailbox Store(HULI). All other (un-moved) users show KUMU, which is what I would expect.
However, in looking at the AD, I noticed I can only see the 4 exchange tabs in a user properties window if I'm on Kumu. The PDC and other BDC don't show the exchange tabs... Is this a problem? I'm wondering how it will appear when it's time to remove exchange from KUMU and HULI is the only exchange server (and HULI is not and probably should not be a DC).

Thanks
-_Rick

No such things as PDCs and BDCs. Those Exchange tabs are only visible if the Exchange management tools are installed on those servers.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Yep, found that and am in process of installing the exchange management tools.

Still can't get into a moved mailbox, though...

Thanks
-_Rick

oh, oh...
Sent an email while mailbox was on new server. No non delivery report or other indication the message failed.
Moved mailbox back to original server, no new message.
Sent new message to mailbox while on original server, it arrives fine and user can log in and access mail.
Moved mailbox back to new server.
Sent an email to mailbox while on new server, went to new server opened exchange system manager viewed mailbox to see size and number of items in box. Sent another message with an attachment so could see size change. No result in mailbox store. Refresh, still same numbers.
It doesn't seem as if messages sent to mailbox while on the new server are actually arriving there...
I'm assuming this is "not a good sign"...

Thanks
-_Rick

[sigh] it only gets worse...
OK, so I finally did get NDR on the messages that didn't get to the moved mailbox.. Existing server tries awhile first.

So, have installed the exchange management tools on first DC HUI, plus alternate DC Pono. Can now see exchange tabs in user properties.
Have created a new user ztest99 and assigned mailbox to HULI, the new exchange server that isn't a DC. Log into workstation just fine with userid and password, but "outlook could not log on." Ping Huli gets positive response. Finally go to Exchange System Manager on HULI, open mailboxes, and no mailbox for new user ztest99... Hmmm... Go back to DC, open AD and check properties on user ztest99... Exchange general tab shows HULI\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (HULI) just like I'd expect, only somehow, the mailbox was never actually created on HULI.

OK, so something fundamental is missing here, and I'm in a fried brain mode due to this and some other (phone)emergencies, so am probably not seeing the obvious at this point.

Thanks
-_Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back