Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot share multiuser Access DB on Novell platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerryL

Technical User
May 7, 2001
US
I'm using an Access database (written by a supplier) where the program resides on a local PC and the data files reside on a shared drive. Here are the details:

Program resides on C:\WIA
Data files reside on R:\Test2
Platform: Novell Netware
All users have read/write privilges to R:
Data file properties are not set to read-only

The DB works fine when a single user is using it. And though it's supposedly designed for multi-user access, each time a second user tries to launch the DB they receive this error message:

"Cannot set file attributes for file group: R:\test2\wiaval0604. If this file is stored on read only media (CD-ROM) then copy to disk before continuing."

User then clicks OK and gets this follow-up message:

"The last database opened is unavailable. Select Yes to open an existing database, No to create a new database or Cancel to exit. 2:53-File not found."

The error doesn't seem to be an Access error; it doesn't say the file is in use or Access cannot open the file. It seems to me to be more of network-related error.

I contacted the supplier but he cannot duplicate the error on their network (which is not Novell).

Anyone have any ideas at all? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

KerryL

Hi

Not sure this is your problem, but usrs need create and delete priveledges in folder R:\Test2, allow them to create and if they are the last user, to delete the lock file (.ldb)

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thanks for the suggestion, Ken.

Made the changes and had the users reboot, but unfortunately they received the same error message.

have you tried placing the files and the database in the same location?
Also why is the database located on the C: drive. why not move it to the shared area of the R: drive

also, this may work. create a new form, switch off the wizard, and create a button. view the properties of the button and choose the hyperlink builder, now point it to the files on your R: drive and press OK. now in the hyperlink field of the properties check the path, you may find its slightly different, this is the true path and including this in the database may be the answer

"My God! It's full of stars...

Scottian,
The reason the front end is on the users' hard drives is that it typically runs a bit faster that way. I'll try putting the pgm out there next to the data files to see if it makes a difference. Not sure it will, though, since it still has to link itself to the files on the shared drive.

I like your idea of creating a cmd button on a new form to verify the path. Unfortunately, the pgm came from a vendor and is launched via an exe, so I can't even get into the database in design mode. Grrrrrr

Dear KerryL,

I also used to manage a Network running Novell 3.12

Considering the server speed and memory, that was a tremendous setup. Access would fly.

If memory serves me correctly, you need to grant full access to the r: drive or at least to the R:\Folder and file. It has been a while, but you need to set every attribute to true (Read, write, rename, delete) They all must be granted to the users who use the database. So open the Novell property window, using an administrator account and grant all to the users.

Wish I could be more specific, but it was 5 years ago.

And, yes, placing the Frontend on each users PC will increase performance for applications that have the FrontEnd written in Access. I believe that if the frontend is in VB, then this is not as important.

Good Luck,
Hap...

Access Developer [pc] Access based Add-on Solutions
Access Consultants forum

Hap007 is right about 3.12 do not remember netware 4.0 it was too long ago I did the CNA but the same principles still apply. Also the front end may not be in access it could be VBA or any nubmer of other programs. Have you contacted the developer and explained the problem

Never give up never give in.

Hap007 & assets:

I already had all read/write/delete privilges set to true, but I'll ask our network people to verify that ALL privilege attributes are set to "true" for the users in that folder. I'll let you know if it works.

Yes, we've contacted the developer so he knows of the problem we're having. Unfortunately, he cannot duplicate it at his site--they're not using Novell Netware.

Thanks for your suggestions.

We had a similar error using a linux samba server with windows clients. It was a folder permissions issue for us.

You may want to check the database record lock settings to make sure the first user isn't locking the database excusively.

Hope you figure it out soon - I know how frustrating it can be!

Hi
We had been experiencing problems sharing Access databases (and Excel spreadsheets) on a Novell network. Turned out to be the version of the Novell client we were running on some machines. Upgrading to version 4.9 SP2 has fixed all the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back