Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot setup SAPWD, SQL pw for installing SQL 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyborg

Programmer
May 11, 2002
US
When I try installing SQL 2000, I must have a "strong" password set up (re article But when I try in the command line (per the article) I get error:

'OSSQL' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

What am I missing? No one else I know has had this problem in installing SQL 2000.

I am running XP Pro.
Appreciate and thanks in advance for helpful input.

Ladyborg

ladyborg64x64.gif
Ladyborg
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." [Thomas A. Edison]

What is the syntax you are using?

there is no such thing as OSSQL
Instead it is OSQL

How to Change Your SA Password
On the computer that is hosting the instance of MSDE to which you are connecting, open the command prompt window.
Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

osql -U sa

At the Password: prompt, press ENTER if your password is blank or type the current password. This connects you to the local, default instance of MSDE by using the sa account. To connect by using Windows authentication, type this command: use osql -E

Type the following commands, on separate lines, and then press ENTER:
sp_password @old = null, @new = 'complexpwd', @loginame ='sa'
go

My mistake, it WAS 'OSQL'. And at command line I did type in: osql -U sa. That's my whole problem.
[pc3]

ladyborg64x64.gif
Ladyborg
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." [Thomas A. Edison]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back