Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Set up Trust between 2000 AD and NT Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

arturner

MIS
Sep 24, 2002
GB
Hi All,

We had our 2 domains (2K AD & Windows NT) set up and trusting each other, all working fine, then we had system crash on the NT PDC, and found that the emergency repair disks were useless (the creator had done it incorrectly).
So we rebuilt the PDC and are now not able to set up the trusts between the two domains.

We are starting with the 2K AD first, and are getting the message (Could not find a controller for that domain). Now this 2K machine has not been changed, so the LMHOSTS file etc is fine, what could we possibly have missed on the NT PDC that is stopping the trust being established as before?

If I carry on with this much longer, I'm going to have even less hair left.

Any Ideas? Thanks In Advance.

Andy

I don't know specifically what might be wrong. However, I did find these articles on the subject:

I would break the trust and then recreate the trust. Here are the instructions on recreating the trust....just follow these step by step:

You May Be Unable to Establish a Trust Relationship Between Windows 2000 and Windows NT Domains

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

When you rebuilt the NT Domain, it was a totally new domain that your WIN2k system has never seen before (even though you re-used the same Domain Name). The SID for the NT Domain has changed as a result of the rebuild from scratch. Restoring the database, etc did not change the SID of the new NT system.

You must manually setup the trusts again from scratch on both Domains. Remember too, that while WIn2k domains will set up two way trusts to other DCs in a WIn2k Forest, the trusts to the NT DOmain must be manually set up in both directions to have two-way trusts in effect.

HTH

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back