Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Sent Attachments on Win 7 computers only

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtroy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2012
US

We had a new problem start in mid-December that I cannot resolve.

A user has been running GW 8.02 on a Win. 7 laptop for several months. Suddenly, without any known changes to the computer or server, she is unable to send an email with an attachment. Small attachments sometimes go though, but any larger than around 200kb never make it. Sometimes, attachments as small as 1k fail.

When the user tries to send, it looks like it is sending for maybe 30 seconds, then it comes back with an error D039 "an unexpected error has occurred." I have been able to recreate the error on multiple Win. 7 computers (XP has no problem) and on multiple user accounts.

The user is working in a remote office and connecting to the GW server over a DSL connection. If we log in as the user from the main office, the problem vanishes.

From what I have read so far, the error indicates that GW cannot find the attachment. Since the problem only occurs with larger attachments sent from a distance, I have to assume the issue is that somehow Win 7 is killing the attachment file before GW has a chance to complete the send.

The only references I have found to the error involve using GW in remote mode, which is not the case here. We are in online mode.

Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks!

We have installed all the relevant patches and are up to date. I'm reluctant to install any Betas that do not say they directly address this issue.

The only way the user can get around this issue is to go onto a Secretary's XP machine. No Win. 7 computer will work. The user is growing increasingly frustrated.

We have been toying with the idea of dumping GW and moving to Gmail. Since GW no longer seems to be supported seriously, I guess that is going to be my recommendation.

You can try the BETAs and go back very quickly if you backup the files being replaced. That's what I used to do. It's good CYA.

You should be able to pay for a single support ticket to have a real Novell tech help you with the issue. I'd certainly do that before I relied on information given on a forum. Not that we're dummies, but Novell could probably figure it out pretty quick.

I'd think long and hard before you moved away from GW to GMail. The investments have already been made (hardware/software) and your mail is under YOUR control not out in GoogleLand.

I don't understand your statement "Since GW no longer seems to be supported seriously". How can you say that without laughing hysterically? What is your basis?

What is the OS that GroupWise is running on?

I see systems like yours all the time, usually with first time customers. Their GroupWise systems are severely neglected from lack of love and TLC over the years. It happens to the best of em.. A lot of people just don't have the time/resources to become intimately familiar with the architecture of GroupWise and the required maintenance. I get it, you have other stuff to do besides manage GroupWise. So it gets ignored, then you have strange problems like you mention.

I bet if you had someone who knows GroupWise look over your system, straighten a few things out, lube the chassis and change the oil and rotate the tires, you'd be up and running in no time.

Also if you have active maintenance, you should be able to open an SR with Novell free of charge. Support is part of your maintenance now.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

Well said Marv. Bet you $100 fake dollars that they DON'T have active maintenance or they would have already called, since it would be free.

Real companies with real IT staff maintain things if they're worth anything. Companies that put the server in the corner and never think about it (whether due to lack of time or lack of staff knowledge set) have these kind of problems.

It's really sad how some people run things. I had 30 servers that I took care of at one time (Novell, GW, Windows 2000) and I was working all the time on them: firmware, BIOS, O.S. patches, backup, etc.

Not hammering the OP - I mean in general "people" don't take care of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back